1951 Williamson Track Frame

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
I was recently given an old track frame by an old friend who I knew had ridden on the old Fallowfield track in Manchester when he was a lad in the early '50's. It was only in last November that he told me that he still had his frame up in his loft and said that I could have it if I was interested. Of course I said yes!

Williamsons was a shop in Dukinfield, Manchester, who originally built frames on the premises, but I suspect that even though this was definitely supplied to my friend to his design by Williamsons, it may have been built elsewhere. According to an authority on Manchester frame builders there are only 5 or 6 Williamsons now known of.

When I got it from him it was obvious that it needs some TLC but, considering its age and originality, it's not to bad. The paintwork is pretty good with only a few small areas of rust but the chainset (Williams) and bars and stem are a bit gone. However, I'll just clean them up as best I can. The saddle is a Lycett 'swallow' design - and thankfully the seat pin is not corroded in! I can't get the handlebar stem loose yet but I've given it a good GT85 soaking for starters.

I'll need some wheels (he threw the originals away - Hardens on Scheerens - priceless now!) and will try for Airlite Large Flange if possible.

As it's got a front brake drilling I may be tempted to try it out sometime.

Attachments

• WilliamsonTrackFrame1951.1.A.jpg
    WilliamsonTrackFrame1951.1.A.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 909
  • WilliamsonTrackFrame1951.2.A.jpg
    WilliamsonTrackFrame1951.2.A.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 909
Hi Ned,

1951.. Phoe, that's old

I like it. I will follow this resto-topic closely.

Yes, it might be worth replating the chainset. There are plenty of people able to do it who do classic car bumpers etc.

Back