Rebuilt Claud Butler Dalesman / Holdsworth Mistral 1982

Chesterbell

Dirt Disciple
I wanted to adjust the seat on my old Claud Butler, and ruined the thread. I then couldn't get the seat post out, so stripped it down to give it some welly.

I have now completely rebuilt it following a new paint job by Brotherton Cycles, in Old Hill.

When the seat went I stripped the bike down and intended to upgrade with new kit. I then got surfing to check the model and found this site, which prompted me to think restore not renew, and I have almost finished, as you can see.

The original was white, and was bought as a frame in 1982 (for £125)after its predecessor was totalled by a car on Stamford Hill. I built it from the remaining bits in my kitchen and spend happy holidays on it touring in France, Germany, Holland, Luxembourg and the UK.

When I bouught it I am sure I was told it was a Holdsworth Mistral, but as they also made Claud Butler frames, I asked if I could have it badged as such. While on the net, I have tried to compare the frames- the Mistral only seems to differ by having a lamp bracket on the front forks.

Since these photos I have added some cable ends and will shorten the gear outer as it looks daft. Yellow wall tyres will also be put back- the black ones were put on for a cheap fix a couple of years ago, which I regret.

I am also ordering new transfers from Lloyd's, but the debate is whether to go for Holdsworth or Claud?

The colour is a bit like the catalogue colour from the Mistral range. I will include the link in my next post.

As a result of finding this forum, I am now an attendee at cycle jumbles!

So is it a Mistral or a Dalesman?

More pics at flickr:

Just enter Claud Butler restoration- I'll include the link in my second post.

It's amazing how a few details can completely transform the look of a bike.

Here's the bike with the awful looking blackwall tyres and modern saddle:

3319320409_dde471cb4a_d.jpg

But change them to proper classic looking tyres and saddle, and add frame transfers and tubing sticker, and brown brake hoods:

3494192354_fd0ed30548_d.jpg

and the result is a great looking bike! Just my opinion of course.

Thanks for loading the pics and the kind comments. As I mentioned in my first post, I originally intended to upgrade all parts, but after stumbling on this and other sites got the retro bug.

I ended up buying a Dawes and someon gave me a Viking. The changes from the first build, post respray:

Bars, tape and levers/hoods ITM, from the Dawes
Swapped the Dia Compe brakes for Galli, although I may change them back
Tyres from cycle jumble
Transfers from Lloyds
Seat post and saddle from the Viking- may still use the wheels (Weinmann rims with Normandy hubs, but rusty spokes)

I actually buggered up the other seat post transfer, hence only one side showing! New one on order.

The bike was originally white, with heavier black/gold lettering. I still think the white lettering is too modern, but will live with it now, as it brightens up the new paint job.
Saving up for the Brooks saddle.

Chesterbell":3tvb58su said:
I actually buggered up the other seat post transfer, New one on order.

Been there too! messed up 2 out of 4! Transfers on Airfix kits used to seem so easy.
That is a good looking bike now.

Back