GT Lightning weight weenie progress

Weight

Lordy there is an awful lot of Psynics out there that need to get a life? All the parts were weighed individually on an assayed scale, see the list!
Yes it cost me a fair bit, but it's all about critical choice of components, tyres, tubes, cassette, wheels and BB are all big savers. We also have a lower gravitational pull in the UK than the US, so everything is lightweight :D
What's the point in putting it on a scale? I could just as easily negatively pre load that and then be acused of fiddling that too?
Checkout the weights on Weight Weenies site, they are genuine enough and the weight is nothing exceptional, plenty of sub 15 fully geared mtb's on there!
The frame is sold,(too big I need a 14 and they didn't make one) the bike stripped and the next project is on the go!
I don't have a mortgage btw.

Re: re:

gm1230126":t3uzim08 said:
captain8track":t3uzim08 said:
some thoughts:

set an 98 Sid or a rigid unit.

If staying suspended in the front you better get a Judy SL earlier than '98 they were lighter than SID's. Rigid would save you the most weight. I think a GT Bologna Lite fork runs 1lbs 9oz so near a 2 lb savings to go rigid. Your not going to come close to 18lbs and once you get to 20lbs you'll spend almost a hundred dollars an ounce to drop weight unless you get out your drill!

You'll also need 28 spoke wheels, Ritchey 1.7 folders or Kenda 1.8 folders to get anywhere near 18.

A -98 sid weighs at about 1180 grams or below.
A Judy has never been under 1300 as far I seen.
I have various Judys from 1995-2000 at home, they are stiffer but weighs more.

re:

Even with a sid, or a rigid unit, I'm not sure this will be 18pounds...

I just don't see it...

Sids are lighter then the Judy SL for sure, I have a sl with ti screws and I don
t think it's as light as a Sid. But however the AC measurement is taller on the sid then on the judy because of the crown...

Weight

I agree most of the cynics won't even ride! :D Ironically Its been in Germany two months too. All the weights are certified on Weightweenies.com A lot of Jealous individuals sat in armchairs me thinks :twisted: :twisted:

re:

then specify it...

Is the lightning lighter then the xizang? probarly no.

According to Weight Weenies the Xizang in 16" weighs 1446 grams, I would probarly wan't to see that bike with my own eyes to believe it...

And well I do ride, your'e welcome to come to sweden and race...

Weight

Whats the big deal? I sold the bike 2 months ago. The Xizang is the same frame as the Lightning same weight. One made in USA and polished one made in Taiwan and Carborundum blasted. Same tubes. The frames drop in weight with the smaller sizes. The components are what make the weight up, not the frame that much, think you need to take life a bit less seriously Dude and chill out.

Back