Other hobbies you are/have been nerdy into...

walking, like trailwalker (100km) or lykewake walk (40miles) or the 3 peaks, so sort of endurance walking :?
did a 20 mile (ish) walk yesterday afternoon

camping, bivvying and posh camping (in my bongo)

reading, if I pick up a good book I'd just read it till finished, then get another

and motorcycling (bmw r1100s) but that's sort of taken a back seat since having kids.... not enough time, and that costs money for tax, insurance, fuel etc... so didn't get used at all last year :oops: .. and can't see that changing this :cry:

John

For nerdy/geekiness stylee, I used to buy and Kitbash (for it is the term) 1/6 scale figures- like action man modern equivelents, Dragon models and BBi made some of the best ones.............even did some designing and sewing- made a few scale Bergens way before the manufacturers did.
Chap in the states made up a headsculpt of me, so I have a 1/6 scale Mini Me..........amazingly life like- I call him Inaction Man.

I quite liked playin' with wee plastic sojers............but interest waned when George W and Uncle Tony decided to start playin' with the real things...... :?

Kitesurfing - whenever there's more than 15mph of wind, I'm out on the water!! Been doing it for around 7 years now, my local spot / beach is 3 mins from my front door which helps.... ;)

Also still have a few thousand records, my 1210s and a DJM500 from a previous life as a DJ. Just into collecting music now, have around 5,000 albums on my server (I'm also in to IT & server stuff) which I stream around the house (quite into home a/v as well...)

Oh yeah, also pretty into photography (when I'm not cycling or kiting or playing music or rebuilding PCs....)

Too many toys, not enough hours in the day..... :?

I can sympathise with a few folk here...

Used to run a lot, everything up to 400m, including hurdles and long jump, then decided I'd gotten as fast as I was going to get, which wasn't fast enough. Also played American Football and open age Rugby League, which seemed to be an excuse for brawling before the pints, and making friends afterwards, the opposite to most people's weekends!

Did a couple of marathons, a few more half-marathons, just for fitness, not competetive. That's my main interest in bikes, I've broken both ankles before and hammering the road in shoes won't do them any good. I like bikes just basically to keep in shape. Round is a shape ;) But I seem to be getting an hankering for red ano bits... And I'm up to 3 bikes now, my 98 Privateer (in it's 3rd colour, in bits), a mutant cyclocrosser commuter and a new Rockhopper which is under my desk at work now! ;)

Also been into VWs for a long time, ran 4 Mk2 GTIs, all valvers, each one consuming more and more £££ on modding than the last. Fantastic cars, pure go-karts and virtually bullet-proof. The only trouble I had was from de-locking and fitting Clifford alarms (the worst!!!). Marriage and kids and self-employment have got me into Saabs which have been great, touch wood. They are both Aero spec, I still like to go fast, even with my pipe and slippers!

Played bass for over 20 years. Had a few great ones, now down to two, a Yamaha Jazz copy and a MusicMan Stingray (maple fretboard) 2-band that used to belong to Captain Sensible. I used to play a lot when I was at Uni in Manchester and did mostly funk and jazz; the proper Miles and Coltrane stuff and all that muso Marcus Miller stuff. Still got my Hartke 300W combo with the ally speaker cones. Also got into a lot of dance/house/garage music in Manchester through hanging with a couple of DJs and I still collect tunes with a voracious appetite. All gone to mp3 now - vinyl is in storage. If it's soulful I like it. Not the nonsense nosebleed techno stuff - never that.

Spending time with wife and kids outside work is the biggest consumer of spare time, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Just means I have to use the LBS a lot more for jobs I'd like to have a go at myself, but I never seem to get an hour where I don't have interruption! At least I actually get to commute on the kit I have and there's no room in the garage for ornamental pieces! 6-year old is getting the hang of bikes and had his first ars*-over-t*t stack last week, bless him! The Mrs would have been mortified if she'd seen it - he just picked himself up, a few tears but it's not put him off.

Motorbikes, especially two strokes, Unfortunately no money and technical ineptitude forced me into human powered two wheelers. ;)

Also small arms, guns etc, was a member of a target shooting club. I'm now of the pacifist persuassion and thus a little disturbed about how much technical detail I know about killing devices :shock:

Trying to focus on gardening now, less death dealing unless directed at slugs :LOL:

skiing, love it and would do it more than mbing if i could afford it.
spose thats the joy of cycling you can have as much fun playing on curbs as a 40 mile epic loop.

Back