Black to basics, camp stealth, FINISHED! 23/5/09

Tad

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hello hello,

I've just finished my bike this afternoon and took it for a quick bimble along the river, I love it, amazingly light and goes like a dream!

It all started when CTK kindly gave me his old Univega frame. I was going to build it up as a bike for my dad to bimble about on but when it arrived it was far too lovely for that. I had some black LX cantis and project Black to Basics was born. The idea was to build the bike with black bits and on a budget, no uber fancy stuff cos I couldn't afford it. I did alow myself the luxury of a new set of wheels built up from NOS bits bought from here. This was my first considered retro build after years of just nailing any old bits of stuff together. The camp stealth diversion came about courtesy of Retrobike's resident aesthete, young Kaiser, who suggested the pink Jagwire cables to go with those lovely early 90s fluro decals. Thanks also have to go to Pickle for finding & collecting a stem for me at his LBS.

It's been built to be ridden too, it's going to see action at Mountain Mayhem next month.

Full spec:

Frame: 1991 Univega Alpine Pro - Tange Professional double butted tubing. Oval down tube and "max mudroom stays"

Fork: Tange

Headset: NOS FSA 11/8 threaded roller bearing.
Stem: NOS Tioga Avenger Tbone - Prestige OS
Handlebar: Ritchey
Grips: NOS Race Face

Brakes: Shimano Deore LX
Brake Pads: Koolstop Eagleii
Brake Cables: Jagwire
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore XT M733

Shifters: Shimano Deore thumbies, 7 speed with 8th click
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX
Derailleur Cables: Jagwire
Cassette: Shimano HG50 8 speed
Chain: KMC
Cranks: Shimano Deore LX
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Race Face bash ring, Blackspire 36T and unbranded alloy 28T
Chainring bolts: Shimano Deore LX
Bottom Bracket: Cheap Shimano one
Pedals: Ritchey SPD

Hub Skewers: NOS Mavic
Rims: Sun Rhyno Lite - machined braking surface
Hubs: NOS WTB XC Speed
Spokes: Sapim
Tyres: IRC Mythos XC (These are the ones I've been selling, Kept some back for myself, the rear is a front on the wrong way round.)
Tubes: Specialized

Saddle: Titanium rail, gel Flite (I took this off my Brompton)

Attachments

• univega.JPG
    univega.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 6,091
  • Univega3.JPG
    Univega3.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 6,049
  • Univega1.JPG
    Univega1.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 6,049
Cool.

I'm building up a blacked out Wicked. Look forward to seeing your results, good luck.

I'm looking for a 26.4 black post as well...should've bid on the strong post that was on ebay a couple weeks back. Now all I can find is this kalloy offering:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Kalloy-Bike-Sea ... .m20.l1116

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
GoldenEraMTB":217i434u said:
I'm looking for a 26.4 black post as well...

If I find two of something interesting I'll let you know.

Cheers and good luck with the build!

Thats really really nice :cool: what saddle are you going for? Also I posted this for a 26.4mm post the other week, might not suit but maybe the graphics can be removed :? I'll let you now when I get it if you like :D

Back