1992 Stumpjumper Comp

one-eyed_jim

Old School Grand Master
Thought I might commemorate 1000 posts and one year on the forum (both last Friday) with my first Reader's Bikes entry.

I bought this 1992 Stumpjumper Comp in about 1999 from an ad in Loot. The guy's description was pretty vague, and I showed up at Hertford North station expecting something from the mid nineties in oversized steel. In fact it turned out to be a 1992 raspberry pink Comp, original but for the addition of a suspension seatpost. Having trekked halfway across the country, I wasn't about to go home empty handed, and the asking price was fair, so I bought.

She's been ridden a lot in different guises, from singlespeed roughstuff hack to commuter, including a period with drop bars and Campag, and a spell with mudguards and a hub dynamo. About five years ago I picked up a threadless Sycip fork from eBay and had the whole caboodle powdercoated pale grey since which time she's mostly been doing singlespeed duty.

The retro bug having bitten, I had to put the thumbshifters back on, and thumbshifters need derailleurs. The Mavic 840 just about clears the 32t big sprocket, and just about takes up enough slack to run a Ritchey 2x9 crankset.

19_11_08_1230_106.jpg

19_11_08_1228_674.jpg

The idea was to build the bike I wanted to ride, so nothing silly light or too exotic to risk breaking - just good, forged parts from mainstream manufacturers - Shimano, Mavic, Syncros, Ritchey, TA, WTB, Campag...

Here she is on her maiden extramural jaunt last month:

11_01_09_1446_fausses_reposes_475.jpg

Still very much a work in progress. Some obvious things to finish, like getting up the courage to cut the steerer. I'm still not convinced about friction-shifting a 9-speed cassette with thumbies, and at some point the Phil rear wheel should go back on:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43741

I've got an XC Pro front hub set aside for a new front wheel build when the current (and original) rim wears out. The only original parts currently on the bike are that front wheel, the rim tapes, and the crank dustcaps.

Aesthetically, I think maybe she takes understatement a little too far. The next powdercoat may be bubblegum pink or pistachio.

No apologies for leaving the canti hangers in place.

1992 Stumpjumper Comp and Sycip threadless fork all powdercoated pale grey
Selle Italia Flite Saddle
Syncros hardcore seatpost
Campagnolo Record headset
Syncros Cattlehead stem
Syncros Hang Doggy brake hanger
Ritchey Force handlebar
Ritchey WCS foam grips
Deore II thumbshifters
WTB Greaseguard 103mm bottom bracket
Ritchey Logic Compact cranks
TA rings 42,29
Specialized (original) dustcaps
Shimano 858 or Suntour XC Pro pedals
Front wheel: XT 730 hub, Specialized X23 rim, Wheelsmith spokes (original)
Rear wheel: Ultegra 6500 hub, Mavic X618 rim, DT competition spokes
Panaracer Pasela tyres, Schwalbe tubes, Specialized (original) rim tapes
XT 9-speed cassette 11-32
SRAM PC59 chain
Mavic 840 rear derailleur
Shimano XT 738 front derailleur
XT BR-M739 brakes, WTB pads

30_08_09_2004_135.jpg

Attachments

• 19-11-08_1227.jpg
    19-11-08_1227.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 4,147
Very nice Stumpy

Lovely Stumpy!
These Stumpies live forever and can be put to many uses.
Many happy miles together by the sound of it. Long may it continue!
Keep us updated

Jamie

Great bike Jacques, they always look so elegant.

And I can't help but warm to your indecision. Uncut steerer perhaps signifying a hanker after those nice Spesh forks, canti hangers perhaps signifying a hanker after cantis, no decals perhaps signifying a hanker after that splendid original strawberry pink?

I'm reminded that when I bought my 93 RM Equipe, it came with XTR cantis that I sold via STW to an English-speaking guy in Paris who wanted to put them on his 92 Stumpjumper. It couldn't have been you, could it?

Anthony":oo4g7a6a said:
I'm reminded that when I bought my 93 RM Equipe, it came with XTR cantis that I sold via STW to an English-speaking guy in Paris who wanted to put them on his 92 Stumpjumper. It couldn't have been you, could it?
You know, it just might have been...

stew-b":1nr1ocfp said:
please cut the steerer before you seriously injure yourself on it!
To be honest I've always been more of a stable-door-after-the-horse-has-bolted kind of guy. I figured I'd just rupture my spleen first, then cut the steerer...

:shock:

Back