Updated: 1999 Kona Caldera - New Pics **10/08/2008**

Mark,

Your re-sprayed Caldera looks great! I too have an original 1999 model in Kona Orange: I believe it may have also been available in Kona Thunder Blue, like the 2000 aluminium frame model…

Anyhows, the bike just keeps on living: minor repairs to the typical failing parts over the years – bottom bracket more often than not. Still pretty much original spec, apart from the necessary replacement bits one cannot get these days…

Bought from new at £800 in 1999 from JE James (I’m local to Sheffield) and an excellent replacement for a rather oversized (for my height, Caldera has a 16” frame) black Cinder Cone bought second hand that turned me on to Konas.

Didn’t realise my bike was now classed as retro ('till I found this site)! Still is good to me (ok, need new chainset, cassette, chain etc)...

__
Dominic.

Dammit, you're making me want to go find a used Kona!

Lovely bike, and amazing colour. I think Konas looked the coolest between '97-99. It's cool to see you've got a modern-ish build on it. Good job w/ the stickers too.

Dead Rats":2ianyii5 said:
must resist temptation to rear disc my Kili (for £ sake only)! sweet bike, looks the biz!!

Don't do it! :shock:

Argos who did this work strongly advised I didn't with my Saracen as the tubes or the rear stays were much thinner and they were not sure of the strength in the Ritchey dropouts. Just there opinion I guess.

M

Back