(cough) Raleigh Mirage...

Tidy, deffo 1990 and looks sized up to fit someone around 5'6".

Had the 1989 model, what a beaut!

John":3v6vo406 said:
Tidy, deffo 1990 and looks sized up to fit someone around 5'6".

:LOL: Sounds about right.

Horizontal top tubes, steep seatstays, tiny wheels...just looking at the top picture makes me smile.

Nice.. :)
My best riding buddy had one of these when we were kids - I had a metallic splatter GT Timberline - his dad still uses the Raleigh!

Nice bike, takes me back!

I had the Blue Ridge, which was the next model up - lugged 531 frame, navy blue / orange fade with Exage 400LX components.

OldSkool1.jpg

Would love to see a 1990 Raleigh catalogue, if anyone has one in their collection?

Nice. There's a Mirage in there at the top of page 8, but it looks like the extra small model. That might explain the claimed weight of 14.3kg.

Some of the road frames are cool. But what's happening on page 28? Even with a completely enclosed chain I wouldn't cycle in baggy 'D:ream' style tartan trews.

I still have my Mirage. It's a 23" :oops: , bought in August 1991 after someone stole my Raleigh Mustang. I had coveted the Mirage for some time and was somewhat overjoyed when someone stole the Mustang from the garage :shock:

I used my Mirage through university, and it's still hanging in my Mum's garage so that I have a bike to use when I'm visiting. Strictly used on cycle track now (C2C runs past the end of her street) with that frame though. It has plenty of momentum downhill!

I put Tioga Wonder Dawg tyres on it, and replaced the standard STI shifters with Deore thumbshifters. I still really like the purple paintwork :oops:

You're right about the downhill momentum.

I've just had the opportunity to weigh my bro's bike as pictured on page 1. It's a stout 14.3kg, or 31 and a half pounds :shock:.

Back