STIs/Ergos - progress or clever marketing?

TheGreenRabbit":1ps45l4l said:
John":1ps45l4l said:
One aesthetic problem is that STI / ergo units tend to sit higher on the bars than regular aero levers.

Never understood this, any idea why ?

Not sure either but assume it's related to the actual mechanics of the shifter bwing physically larger along with current trends..

I would never ride a bike with down tube levers again. As JV I don't have trouble braking or shifting on hoods or drops....

Have you tried the SRAM Red ergo levers Ed? :LOL:

TheGreenRabbit":rj2lb946 said:
John":rj2lb946 said:
One aesthetic problem is that STI / ergo units tend to sit higher on the bars than regular aero levers.

Never understood this, any idea why ?

I think it's also the fashion for very low front ends to give an aero position - but that's too uncomfortable for most of the time (especially if hanging in the bunch) to the high hoods allow a normal setup for the rest.

And there's a lot of shameless following of pro-peloton looks, even though most people aren't able to use the things.

Personally I just don't have the flexibility in my back to get that low any more.

MadCowKev":322su4bi said:
I would never ride a bike with down tube levers again. As JV I don't have trouble braking or shifting on hoods or drops....

Have you tried the SRAM Red ergo levers Ed? :LOL:

Ed is all about SRAM red, esp the new carbon aero TT gruppo. Which does feature d/t style levers.

Basically I like STI on my 'modern' bikes but I do have a problem with braking on the drops, especially with 'ergo' bars which I consider to be the spawn of the devil! Because of the 'flat' bits on the drop section I can't get my hands forward enough to reach for the brake levers - and I've got big hands. Never had this problem with Cinelli 64's and Universal levers!

I also find that they are very sensitive to the indexing and often have to 'double shift' when returning back down the block. Perhaps it's in my setting up but I do follow all the correct procedures and 'tweeks' when doing it.

Had a few rides on my Eddy Merckx now ( see this forum for pics ).
Bike felt great staight away which was really comforting.
First time in a long while on downtube shifters.
Slightly strange. Sure I will get used to it.
Will be fine for the riding I will be doing with the bike, but would not be too comfortable riding in a pack/ formation as taking a hand off the bars has got to be unsafe. Nice bike though.
Campag ergo anyday - although I can't afford that so use Ultegra STi, which is on my other bikes.

Latest posts

Back