Early Dawes 'The Edge Team'. Anyone got any pics or info ???

Hi its a Dawes edge eXTRa your right with the spec mine came with mavic 231 ceramic rims ritchey wcs bars full xtr and the frame is 653.

Cheers Toad

I have the '94 brochure and there are 3 models of The Edge.

The Edge Team:- Reynolds 653, XTR M900 groupset, Campag Stheno hardox (black) rims, British racing green. £1499.95

The Edge Extra:- Reynolds 653, XT M737 groupset, Campag Stheno hardox (black) rims, Meteor blue. £1049.95

The Edge:- Reynolds 653, LX groupset, Campag Stheno (silver) rims, Cool natural. £799.95

Fork options for all 3:- Pace RC35

The next model down is the "Off Limits" which has a lugged 501 frame.

Scanner's not working at the moment, here is a scan of the spec and price list, poor resolution but you want page 2

Spec and price list clicky here

Easy_Rider":2w1s0d4s said:
The Edge Team:- Reynolds 653, XTR M900 groupset, Campag Stheno hardox (black) rims, British racing green. £1499.95

Thanks Easy Rider. This has absolutely nailed it for me. Before I started this thread I kept thinking to myself i'm sure the guy who sold it to me said that it was a team something. But after reading all the team bike posts. I didn't want to say. Hey I think this is a team bike and end with someone saying it's a such & such and was made gas pipe etc etc and feel a bit silly. That being said. I know that the 'team' monika is only a model name as opposed to an actual team bike, but it does mean that I wasn't going mad and my memory is still working after 10 odd years, if a little vague :D . I also remember that he was absolutely adamant that it was the top of range bike.

Added to this that the bike was complete with the full XTR M900 and the other clue that the inside of the bottom bracket has residue of green paint and I think as Holmes would say.... it's elementary my dear Watson... :cool: .

I had a quick look as I was on my way out this morning and the colour is a darker green than it appears in the shot above as there seems to be a white base layer. I am going to have a go at a macro photo later and see if I can extract a colour out of it that makes sense.

Thank you very much guys.

Now all I need is some original pics of the frame with the appropriate graphics/decals which I can get made up by ... is it Gil whose name I keep seeing pop up in relation to his/her mastery of the mysterious decal arts ;) .

SO anyone with a mag article please????
Cheers.
Dave.

Dawes Edge

There was a test of one of these in MBUK in late 1993.It was a 1994 model,with Pace RC35 forks.If i recall correctly,this model was dark green.I have the mag.but it is at my Parents.

The frames of all the edge bikes were identical, it was only the components that varied. In my 94 catalogue the brazing looks much messier and bigger than on your frame, and rock shox was not a fork option, only pace rc35. I suggest that it isn't a 94 model, but could be wrong.

I'm sure i have the mbuk test of it too somewhere, again, scanner isn't working :evil:

Easy_Rider":2fqmddf5 said:
The frames of all the edge bikes were identical, it was only the components that varied. In my 94 catalogue the brazing looks much messier and bigger than on your frame, and rock shox was not a fork option, only pace rc35. I suggest that it isn't a 94 model, but could be wrong.

I'm sure i have the mbuk test of it too somewhere, again, scanner isn't working :evil:

Do you think that it would be earlier or later for finer brazing? What's the timeline of the two forks? What period were RC35's produced and what period for the Rockshox mag20's?

Be great if you could find the article, perhaps we could figure something out? Have you got a digital camera perhaps?

Cheers.
Dave.

Bought mine in 92/ 93 (i think) but it was the first year the were made my boss had one given to him by dawes for being the top account holder. im sure we had 4 delivered at the same time all with mag 20's

I remember there was an Edge in 1987 - 531 frame, XT group and U-brake. Dawes were the first mass-market 'traditional' bike maker in the UK to launch a quality mountain bike range.

Oops :oops:
forgot all about that, i'll try and do something tonight, it'll have to be a digi cam pic though, not sorted the scanner yet.

Back