anyone heard of ghostbikes?

i know the principal behind it but have never seen the site . i normally see ghost bikes on local blogs

how long until yvette fielding makes a show about them :roll:

I think I like the idea but it does remind me a bit of those horrible flower-shrines that are set up where somebody has died on the road that end up looking manky... perhaps the bike should be put there for a week after the event and then removed.

I like the idea as its a way to increase awareness, morbid as it may be.
The chances are that if it happened in northampton, someone would only nick it for scrap anyway.

I like the principle of a memorial, but I think a smaller bike shaped plaque or similar would attract less vandalism and get the message across just as well.

(A full size bike would probably just end up in a council skip and then in LeGrandFromage's weekly "finds" list :) )

Someone I raced with and who lived up the street from me was killed 2 weeks ago when a van turned in front of him as he was riding to work. He was a father of 2, he raced road, mtn and CX. He was a great guy. This is the ghost bike that was left for him.
If you type in "kevin black ballard" into google you can read about what a great person he was. He will be missed.

Attachments

• 3264753278_94d5425ac3.jpg
    3264753278_94d5425ac3.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 732
I had seen the one in Oxford but hadn't realised its significance until now.

Few months ago. These two guys were in real tight with the local ss/roadie scene. A real tragedy.

Attachments

• Ghost Bikes.JPG
    Ghost Bikes.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 672
I've come across two of them whist cruising around the London, one at the top of Kingsway / Southampton Row in Holborn and another in Stoke Newington, near my old (ware)house. both are prime areas for t*sser taxi drivers or bendy buses to mow you down :evil:

I've more appreciation for them now I know what they are though, just thought it was bloody art students trying to be 'conceptual' again....

dunno about it really. i appreciate the sentiment, and the message it sends to other road users, but for me its just not something i like to think about. if i did i probably just wouldnt ride on the road anymore, already feels dangerous enough

Back