Cinder Cone commuter

andrewl

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Was going through the photos on my laptop and thought I should post a few of my commuter.... aka 98 Kona Cinder Cone built up mostly out of bits and pieces found in the shed a while back - and also sporting a reasonable amount of visible seatpost. Nothing real special but great fun blasting through the streets.

Specs are as follows:

Frame: 1998 Kona Cinder Cone, 18" double butted cromoly steel (allegedly) in Eggplant (dark purple).
Fork: 98 (99 model year though) Marzocchi Z3 light with ~65mm of travel
Headset: FSA - from the old parts bin
Crankset: Shimano no name octalink with granny removed because the new multi size clamp front derailleurs can't cope with a narrow Q factor.
Pedals: Shimano PD M536 "Mud Shedding"
Chain: Wipperman
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT M750 long cage
Shifters: Shimano XT 750 series STI (with rapidfire shifter and brake lever together)
Bars: Titec Hellbent XC
Stem: Easton 110mm 0 degree rise
Grips: Ruffian MX lock-on
Brakes: Shimano XT M750 Vs
Wheels: old Shimano hubs with cheap rims - circa 98 which were lying around
Cassette: Deore 9 speed
Tyres: Conti TravelContacts front and rear
Seat: crica 97-98 cheap plastic job which was also lying around and is surprisingly comfy.
Seatpost: Thomson Elite 27.0 x 410mm
Weight: ?

Attachments

• Cinders2.jpg
    Cinders2.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,777
  • Cinders1.jpg
    Cinders1.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,777
Very nice looking. However, I'm always confused when people put suspension forks on commuters. If you're ripping through traffic around city streets like I am, I'm gonna want the fastest-responding fork possible, I.E. a rigid one.

ameybrook":3mq54ljn said:
Very nice looking. However, I'm always confused when people put suspension forks on commuters. If you're ripping through traffic around city streets like I am, I'm gonna want the fastest-responding fork possible, I.E. a rigid one.

Easy answer is that I got the Z3 for free and thus why pay for a set of rigid forks.

Sure they aren't as stiff as a rigid but our some of our back streets are the smoothest either :)

Back