The one and only "HOW MUCH IS MY xyz WORTH" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orange Prestige '93

I hope this works as this is the first time I've used any form or forum.

I recently got back into mountain biking after a long absence (Uni etc.) and for the first few months I used my old orange that I had. But with the old addiction re-ignited I bought myself an '09 Marin. So rather than have my old bike collecting dust, I thought I may sell it to someone who would appreciate it and use it more than I do.

Is it better to sell it complete or would I be better off splitting it up? What's it worth?

Here's the spec (Year indicates year parts were purchased based on receipts I have found):

19" Orange Prestige Frame (1993)
Marzocchi MX Comp ETA Forks (2002)
FSA Aheadset (2002)
Art Stem (2002)
Zoom 130 Bars (1994)
XTR M900 Chainset (1994)
XTR M901 Front Mech (1994)
M525 SPD's (1993)
XT M735 Rear Mech Short Cage (1994)
Hope Std and Hyperglide Hubs on Mavic 231 Rims (1994)
XT 8-Speed 11-28 Cassette (1994)
Avid Levers (2002)
Deore V brakes (2002)
Gripshift SRT 50R (1994)

As this is Retro bike I won't bother listing tyres, tubes, seat post or seat. They were purchased August last year.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC00024 (Large).JPG
    DSC00024 (Large).JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,190
More if you sell it as parts and I would be interested in possibly the wheels if true ;)
The forks would probably put people off buying as a whole for really good money as they would need replacing for some Original era forks (either Orange or PACE normally)

The bike looks in really good condition, so you could get near top money for it and

daj: I need the money and cannot justify 2 bikes! The new bike was a present from the GF and I unfortunately like it more than the Orange!

FluffyChicken: The rear could do with a tweak, but nothing 2 minutes with a spoke key wouldn't fix.
I regret not keeping the original forks, headset and stem, but when I had them changed after an attempt to get back into mountain bikes a few years ago, I didn't think it worth keeping them and I got money off if the bike shop kept them! :evil:
I suspected I would be better off splitting it up after a quick glance through Retrobike in the last few days. What's top money? I'm thinking now I'll strip it down and advertise it on here. But forum rules prevent me from advertising without a price!

Look for immaculate condition (or NOS) and that is money, you'll not get that but you'll at least know a high price.

Good pictures always work well, if you overprice don't worry, you'll just get offers or you'll need to reduce.

But just take others in similar condition as a guide, if logos are gone or wear/tear prices will of course be lower.

It's hard to price parts without seeing them close up, others are far better at pricing them up though.
But retrobike tends to me more in the 'friends' price range for used things ;)

If you want the highest price, clean them up well, take good quality pictures and good advert on ebay (and list to the EU) the market will tell you the price there.

FluffyChicken: Thanks for your help, and pointing me in the right direction.

I appreciate your honest response, regarding me getting better money for the parts (as I think I'll be splitting) on ebay.

However, mountain biking in general has always appealed because of the general friendliness between like minded individuals. Therefore I am prepared to accept "friends" prices if it means the parts are going to be appreciated! ;)

Never really liked the idea of ebay!!!

So, its time to do some serious research, re: prices, postage costs and I suppose I'd better also look into a paypal account (as I'm guessing in this day and age its the way forward to sell/buy stuff)!!

Thanks again!

hey people hows it going ?

I have and am about to sell an original nukeproof reactor complete with fork. The frame has hardly seen any use as it was originally a sample from the states. My dads company was the distributor back(way back) in the day. It really would make a great project as it probably needs a respray and the forks/headset stripping. Its just been knocking around in various warehouses ever since I remember it appearing what must have been a good 13 years ago if not slightly more. For those that dont know the nukeproof i have is in no way related to that chinese/taiwanese made tat that is being branded as nukeproof nowadays. Not that there is anything wrong with chinese/taiwanese made bike parts 99% of the market haha.

Any ideas to what i should ask for it and general comments defo welcome
I have pics but im so computer illiterate I cant them on here....

Cheers

Attachments

• nukeproof 001 small.jpg
    nukeproof 001 small.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,138
simonsilo":1hi408f3 said:
hey people hows it going ?

I have and am about to sell an original nukeproof reactor complete with fork. The frame has hardly seen any use as it was originally a sample from the states. My dads company was the distributor back(way back) in the day. It really would make a great project as it probably needs a respray and the forks/headset stripping. Its just been knocking around in various warehouses ever since I remember it appearing what must have been a good 13 years ago if not slightly more. For those that dont know the nukeproof i have is in no way related to that chinese/taiwanese made tat that is being branded as nukeproof nowadays. Not that there is anything wrong with chinese/taiwanese made bike parts 99% of the market haha.

Any ideas to what i should ask for it and general comments defo welcome
I have pics but im so computer illiterate I cant them on here....

Cheers
what size is it? pics are easy to post. just resize them with some programm (e.g. irfan view) and use the "add an attachement" button that shows up when writing your posts.
tough to estimate this one...
yes its a unique bike, but condition is everything. a used/beaten one-off frame like that can be a pain to deal with. i don't even want to think about cleaning, lubing or even repairing the damping assembly :?
i personally would just pay ~200euros if there are no cracks and the damping assembly is "ok". others might be willing to pay more -> ebay

Ive put pics in my gallery of the frame. I think its a 19" but ill have to check. Its never really been ridden but the paintwork has seen better days as you can see. As for the shock, like any mechanism that age used or not it will need tlc i.e. greasing..

Attachments

• nukeproof 001 small.jpg
    nukeproof 001 small.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,139
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back