1991 Gt Karakoram Elite - Update on page 3

looks really cool. nice and original looking. :cool:

i've got my eye on my old psyclone, regretted selling that, then it got stolen, then recovered with a shit paint job, then it got sprayed properly by argos and now it's sat in that guys loft! emailed him tonight about it, it could be mine again for the right price.

it's time a gt was added to the collection!! :D

As this is my 100th post I thought I'd use it to bump my Karakoram back up for some more views.
Also a question...
Should I put Deore thumbshifters on instead of the XT ones? I'm thinking that they might fit in with the rest of the DX group a little better and besides I may have plans for the XT thumbies.
What does anyone reckon or am I just getting a little pedantic?
Cheers

Yeah got them back in December. Bid up a bit higher because I new I could pick them up and avoid the postage.
However when I'd got them and took the sprockets off I found out that the freehub cassette body had cracked. Had to get a replacement.
I'd been collecting early 90's parts for a while with the plan to build something nice up, then the Karakoram came up on the Bay and here it is.
Now I'm thinking about another build around the rest of the parts I've already collected.
It never ends...!

Love it. I have to say though...that the flip-flop gets no respect in pictures on this board...ever. Why post pictures of the ubiquitous Shimano thumbie rather than the very destictive, and signature of the period, GT stem instead?

Just a thought, but the bike is very nice! :cool:

Thanks for the comments utahdog, but this bike hasn't got a flip-flop stem. It's the standard quill stem.
My 92 Bravado (which replaced my original Karakoram Elite BITD) had a flip-flop stem and if I'm honest, although I appreciated the design intention, I never really got on with it too well.
I remember replacing it with a Control Tech stem after I'd had it for about a year, and then it went to aheadset when I got some suspension forks.
I'll take some pics of the stem on the Karakoram next time I'm out with my camera for you though.
All the best
Paul

Just put some more pictures up of my Karakoram on the first page.
(still haven't sorted out the tyres and saddle yet though...)

Back