Zullo SLX

gorgeous.

check out the zullo website (zullo-bike.com). they are currently offering a reproduction of the same bike, now called the 'tour '91'.

also, an extremely limited edition lugged max frame called the 'belle'...not currently listed on the site and due to debut at the NAHBS show shortly.

brakes are definitely crauce d'aune, not records. You can tell cos the adjusters have no rubber finger grips and the springs at the back are external. Records were internal springing. I guess leverage etc is the same, so should work as record.

Someone said graphite carries a premium price over silver. Dont know if record did a graphite delta. If they did, poster might be right. If they didnt, I'd say record will cost more every time.

In terms of graphite matches, didnt Centaur have a graphite groupset about 5 yrs ago. May not be genuine vintage, but would be better than having shimano bits.

pigman":2fx9vevs said:
In terms of graphite matches, didnt Centaur have a graphite groupset about 5 yrs ago. May not be genuine vintage, but would be better than having shimano bits.

Yes? It is not exactly that I am phasing out Campy, but due to compatability issues and prices of less easy to source parts I absolutely do not let the share of Campy grow above strictly necessary level. What means current Campy builds will be kept Campy and I would only consider a next Campy build if one or preferably multiple donorbikes with full equipment are present. Okay, an Italian bike would have to go with Campy anyway, but I do not have one.

For what it is worth, from my experience the only real compatability issue with Campag is if using indexed gearing - go with downtube shifters and a freewheel (or even cassette hub) and the problems vanish. One of the main reasons why I am not so sure about Ergos/STIs although that is perhaps another thread.....

I know there are potential issues with Super Record cranks and the asymmetric b/b but I used that chainset on a Klein Quantum with the pressed in b/b with no problems at all - I'm guessing the taper on the b/b wasn't even correct!

Anyway, I've gone well off topic here, has given me some ideas for another few threads.....

- oddball tapering on bb spindles (in my experience Campy crank on regular axle often, not always, works okay. The other way round?)
- oddball size thread on hub axles (and they can't be replaced by a cheap widely available Shimano axle/cone assembly)
- oddball size thread on screw on hubs (understand you could fit conventional thread freewheels though, but can't go back)
- random hoods won't fit Campy brake lever
- rings

...and probably there is more I haven't faced yet.

So you will need genuine Campy stuff and if there is no bike that can donate you'll have to pay big buck probably. Many really sit on their Campy and they know what the afficiados are willing to pay.

Of course you would face pretty much the same when looking for say Dura Ace AX equipment.

All fair points Melvin but stuff lasts a long time with care.

Oh and please, never, ever Campy :twisted: (while it's an accepted abbreviation can you see The Cannibal or The Badger riding 'Campy'? If his performance on the Tour podium recently is anything to go by the latter would punch you in the face for the mere suggestion).

"If I breathe, I attack"

Ed

Latest posts

Back