So what was your first road bike?

First drop bar bike was a lime green second hand thing. Seem to think it was branded National (is this related to Panasonic, as lots of their electronic stuff then was branded National?) Anyway, back in the late 70s, the fashionable thing to do to a 10 speed was to bung on a set of BMX bars. High & mighty! Couple of years later, banged the drops back on, and shortly after that, It got pinched from school one day. Not owned another since. Although there is a skip find road frame in the shed wanting me to build it.......

1977ish Sekai 2400 LTD...now long gone
Then:
1981 Panasonic DX4000...gone
1983 Panasonic DX5000...gone
1989 Panasonic PICS Team..gone with huge regrets
1998 GT Edge Ti...til death do us part
1994 GT Edge steel...til death do us part

ozpete":1jr9ynlm said:
First drop bar bike was a lime green second hand thing. Seem to think it was branded National (is this related to Panasonic, as lots of their electronic stuff then was branded National?) Anyway, back in the late 70s, the fashionable thing to do to a 10 speed was to bung on a set of BMX bars. High & mighty! Couple of years later, banged the drops back on, and shortly after that, It got pinched from school one day. Not owned another since. Although there is a skip find road frame in the shed wanting me to build it.......

Eeee, when I were a lad...

The fashion was to fit every big wheeled bike with huuuuuuge cow horn bars. The funniest part was that most people didn't fit longer brake cables so the brake levers were miles from the grips. Raleigh caught onto the trend and introduced the Bomber at almost exactly the point everybody round here got bored and refitted their original bars.

Then there came the weird trend for fitting drops upside down. :eek:

Aaah, twas a Coventry Eagle. Steel everything it had. I used to be able to wear though a cheap cotter pin in around 12 weeks.
First proper one was a very nice Alan with some S R parts and odd hubs with foller bearings. The fork crown started to come unstuck so Hotta in Totnes did something with a posh bolt. I would love to know if it is possible for someone to reglue/repair all the joints so that I could rebuild it and ride again.

Holdsworth Avanti, 25.25 inch frame :shock: , saw me right many times and updated it's equipment over the years including selling it, buying it back, being rear ended by a London bus and getting it resprayed in French blue with white panels (the resprayer cheekily put "531 respray" stickers on even though it was 501!).

It was the first item I ever sold on eBay, went for pennies considering it was a mix of Super Record, Dura Ace and Superbe Pro. I was properly sad when I packed it to send, so much so that my wife bought me a Homer Simpson corkscrew to compensate. The many bottles of cheap red that followed temporarily dulled the pain but I am still filled with wistful regret when I think of that bike.

A borrowed 501 Reiker early last year (Made in New Zealand so you'll never of heard of it).

I am now on my second a Vitus Futural single speed, the leg guns are looking good lol :D

Not strictly a road bike but.....

Frejus Track bike - vintage ?
Beautiful Blue and chrome finish
Campag throughout - which isn't saying much , hubs , crank , head set etc
Tubs, of course

I really miss that bike. So light and fast. Always a pleasure to ride. Used it for track and fitted a rear brake for road use, the ultimate SS ;)

However I have found a suitable replacement and am loving every minute being back in the saddle :D

Back