cheap chainset upgraded ** chain device needed next hmm :-/

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Been refurbing GF's war wounded Giant CRS, its been through some car-nage in the last 3 years.

Its a strange beast a lovely frame and integrated headset. its a kind of sporty hybrid, quite nice. but the biggest selection of gears, like extreme mountain 12-32 or summat and 28 38 48 triple front rings. I decided the transmission needed a spruce this time. We live in a flat area, but single speed was not allowed. :oops: :LOL: So I'm opting for 8 road gears (or less) ;) After failing to buy a SS/SH chainring yesterday at 6 shops I took the crank off anyway for its pre build wash.

all 3 rings are held together and are all steel. wow so they have actually worn OK really, you could get away with these if you had to. however they are not hex bolted on, they are like rivitted in place. blimey. the cranks actually look alright though, so the cranks and rings are designed to be replaced all together if anything! nothing new sure i remember the Cotterless cranks" in home shopping catalogues, what ever that means but grim :p :LOL:

anyway I weighed the drive side with the skinny little pedal on still... 1050grams! fark, this lot is potentially more than my Gusset BMX style set up! jeez

Pictures this aft, but I'm proposng to drill out the rivits and fit one decent tough alloy ring. seems the way to go, even if it is hard wearing.

Massive amounts of weight savings and improvement available on this bike

I think you might struggle with that, TBH.
Better to get a cheap secondhand chainset from here and a singlespeed ring. Spa cycles does lovely singlespeed ones for £8.

I am wondering that, Wierd as its meant to be a £300 bike w.o suspension naturally, so you'd expect summat reasonable. gonna get a pic in a bit...

DSCF3444.jpg

DSCF3443.jpg

DSCF3439.jpg

and the bike after cleaning

ive had a couple of rivetted cranks like that, in my experience its the pedal threads and tapers that go before the rings.
gl with teh drilling but i agree, youd probably be better off getting a whole new driveside for less hassle and not much more cost.
the bankrupt surplus guy on ebay does a no brand alloy crank for under a tenner, but its 130 bcd and comes with a steel ring.

good idea really, Stronglight 55s any good?
£27 delivered
99da_1.JPG

I'd be spending at least £20 on a ring anyway. very light.

perry":1p0u8hfo said:
go with those , they will make the bike look a bit more traditional ;)
newcrank002.jpg

Well I did just that, and I'm very happy with the result. they are just a bit lighter than my Raleigh Apex bare Exage cranks and the whole thing has saved over 500g on the original!!!
newcrank001.jpg

And it looks great I love the look of it.

newcrank003.jpg

Got the roadie bits originally off my Identiti on it nice I might even restrict the mech so that the 12T and 25T are unobtainable making a 6 speed.
:idea:
But I don't want the chain to fall off what to do. Gonna tighten chain as much as poss... and wondering where my DMR chain thing is off my Identiti but this old mech is too heavy and ugly to stay on just to hold onto the chain...
newcrank004.jpg

Any ideas/comments?

Should be fine without a tensioner. Singlespeed teeth on the chainring and a well fitted chain would do. Just no rock gardens or dropoffs :D

reanimation":3tmpo9a6 said:
.....the whole thing has saved over 500g on the original!!!

That doesn't surprise me. Those Giant OE cranks are a bit overweight.

Back