Rebuilding my '97 Stumpjumper - Finished UPDATE 31.07.09

SStumpjump

Devout Dirtbag
Thought I would just post my recently started re-build of my old Stumpjumper Cro-Mo, that I bought back in 1997. Back then it was teal with a rigid fork, had XT rear mech, Ritchey controls, Stout front hub, and Mavic 221 rims as I recall.

I have had the frame lying around for several years, the built it up as a very lightweight retro bike. Raced it a few times, got tired of the paintjob (done by a spanish ”artist” who owed me a favour), took it apart and got a box of goodies stolen from my shed while moving from one house to another…

Here it is as it was back then. It weighed 9,9 kgs without pedals. (It later had the correct front brake as well - Control Tech)

7cdoggp0q3no0bf.jpg

At the moment, the frame has been shaved from its cableguides for the front and rear mech, and also the mech hanger has been removed. So as you probably already have guessed, I intend to ride it singlespeed. I don’t consider the frame old or rare enough for this to be blasphemy…
It will be built up using some old and some new parts including:
Kona P2 fork
King Nothreadset
Middleburn RS3 cranks w. Specialités TA bottom bracket
DMR Revolver singlespeed hub (or White ENO, if I can’t get the chain to tighten up properly)
Specialized Stout front hub
Ritchey spokes 1.8/1.5 front and 2.0/1.6 mm rear
Mavic XC717 rims
Avid V-brakes w. old SRAM ESP 7.0 plastic levers
Syncros seatpost w. Titec seat
Specialized stem/Easton Monkeybar

The new paint will be a cool L620 Savannah Beige, an old Volkswagen color.

More to follow…. :)

/Ulrich

Re: Rebuilding my '97 Stumpjumper

nice Stumpi

SStumpjump":vos0vgd2 said:
The new paint will be a cool L620 Savannah Beige, an old Volkswagen color.

:cool: same colour as our old T2 Westfalia Bus had BITD

Unfortunately not. It was just made with little dots of enamel paint, to look like snakeskin... There were a few nice details, like the rear brake bosses painted like two snakes heads. But the frame as a bike was quite ugly in my opinion. Way to many things going on.
I would have preferred just a few snakes winding down the downtube and chainstay or something like that, but the artist apparently couldn't stop... :roll:
I had it painted with two coats of clear, so it actually had a quite nice finish.

Anyway, I will probably get it from the paintshop next week, if all goes well, and then start the rebuild. :p

OK. Now the frame has been shaved from its cablestops and mech hanger. Old paint stripped off, and painted Renault beige. By stripping the old paint (2 layers), and painting it again, it lost 25 grams! Frame weight is now down to 1995 grams. Pretty good for an 18" steelframe I guess.

hotwheel1655-1-104322042009.jpg

So this morning I went to work a bit earlier to press the King headset into the frame, and start building my wheels: Unfortunately the DT Swiss spoke calculator made me pick 254 mm spokes for the front, but I found they were 4 mm's too long! :shock: Must wait for new spokes now...

hotwheel1655-4-104322042009.jpg

Tonight I have put on the brakes, stem and handlebar. I really dig the clean look of the control department without shift levers and other disturbing things.

hotwheel1655-5-084523042009.jpg

Tomorrow I will get the threads in the BB cleaned out, and try to fit my new Specialités TA Axis Light bottom bracket. It'll be a tight fit, but it might work (110 mm axle) with my old Middleburn RS3's. Then it's just the wheels and I'm done. :D

Sorry about the crappy pictures. Better quality will follow soon.

Let me know what you think.

Ulrich

OK, got the BB thread cleaned up, and tried to fit my new Specialites TA Axis Light bottom bracket. I had ordered a 110 mm axle, since my old BB-UN73 had a 107 mm axle, and fit my Middleburn RS3's perfectly.
But... apparently the taper on the axle is not the same, and the crank arms slides too far towards the frame, hitting the bearings... :roll:

So now I will have to find another nice square taper BB in the right size. For now my old Shimano will have to do, even though I hate putting that to use again.

So I now need 32 250 mm Ritchey Logic 1.8/1.5 mm spokes for the front wheel, a new BB, a chain and building the wheels. Oh, and I need to figura out which tyres to choose... Think I might go with the Ritchey Z-Max Premonition 2,1 or Hutchinson Python 2,3. Any advice on that?

Finally got around to build it up... :roll:

Unfortunately the rear spokes are way too long, so I had to do the twist. Looks horrible if you ask me, but I couldn't wait any longer. Will be a regular 3 cross when I get this sorted.

The plan was to build a robust, but still reasonably light classic looking bike, but I have had no worries using modern parts where I thought they would be better. This bike is meant to be used. ;)

Let me know what you think!

main.php

Frame: Specialized Stumpjumper Direct Drive Prestige 1997 18"

Fork: Kona P2 double-butted

Headset: Chris King Nothreadset
Stem: Specialized CNC 90 mm
Handlebar: Easton EA70 Monkeybar lowriser
Grips: ODI Longneck

Brakes: Avid SD7 with titanium bolts
Brake Pads: Ritchey
Brake Cables: Jagwire
Brake Levers: SRAM ESP 7.0

Freewheel: ACS 17 T
Chain: Gusset Bling Slink halflink chain
Cranks: Middleburn RS3 175 mm
Crank Bolts: Specialités TA
Chainrings: Pace 32 T
Chainring bolts: Specialités TA
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-UN52 107 mm
Pedals: Gusset Slim Jim

Hub Skewers: Ti bolts rear, Specialized Skraxle front
Rims: Mavic XC717 32 holes
Hubs: DMR Revolver rear, Specialized Stout front
Nipples: Aluminum
Spokes: Ritchey 1.8 mm
Tyres: Ritchey Z-Max Pro 26x2.35"
Tubes: Hutchinson Airlight

Saddle: Titec Ithys Gove Titanium
Seatpost: Syncros 30,4 x 400 mm
Seatpost Binder: Control Tech Titanium

Weight: 9,54 kg/20,9 lbs

Cheers,

Ulrich

very nice.
very clean looking. if it was me id get a skinnier seat and some flat bars, but its not so that was a waste of a comment:p

i like.

Back