1992 GT Bravado

mynchiboy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Picked up this recently from the 'bay to keep me tinkering/occupied whilst job hunting :(

The bike was pretty mucky and everything was full of dust and cack but luckily the last owner - who had pretty much owned it from new - had stored it somewhere pretty dryish, so here it is after a couple of days of cleaning, lubing (including half a can of WD on the STI) and polishing, plus a few new bits. As you can see it's pretty much original bar tyres, seat and pedals. I'm just hoping that ford signal yellow touch up paint matches up okay for the cable rubbed areas...

I haven't owned a proper high end GT from this era (nearest I got was a schoolmate's '92 timberline complete with those crazy angle stems) and it really is cool and rides great, I'm loving the fact that these bikes show how eccentric designers were with things BITD, having a groove tube to keep cack out of the cables but then using a u-brake :LOL:

My only regret is that it may have to be sold sooner rather than later to help the cash flow :cry:

Basic spec as follows:

Frame: 18" GT Bravado True Temper GTX Ultra III

Fork: GT 3D Cromo

Headset: GT
Stem: GT flip flop
Handlebar: GT alloy
Grips: modern GT lockons

Brakes: Deore DX canti front, Deore u-brake rear
Brake Pads: shimano
Brake Cables: venhill
Cantilever cable hangers: shimano
Brake Levers: Deore XT

Shifters: Deore XT STI
Front Derailleur: Deore XT
Rear Derailleur: Deore XT
Cassette: shimano HG70
Cranks: Deore DX
Chainrings: Shimano SG
Bottom Bracket: shimano UN73
Pedals: Tioga surefoot IV

Hub Skewers: Deore DX
Rims: Araya RM-400 Pro 32 hole
Hubs: Deore DX
Spokes: DT
Tyres: Ritchey Z Max front, Specialized team control rear

Saddle: Vetta Trishock
Seatpost: GT alloy
Seatpost Binder: GT

Weight: 25.4 lbs

Attachments

• GT 1001.jpg
    GT 1001.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 5,116
  • GT 1003.jpg
    GT 1003.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 5,116
She cleaned up real nice...congrats! You goota find a way to keep that one for a while. I have the same year Team Avalanche in the same color but full M900 XTR. A lot of unique GT firsts on those 1992 bikes...groove, tube, forks, stems. All were unheard of and way off the charts for a production bike company back in that era.

Nice :cool:

Thats the London bay one with the Mag forks?

Thats come up nice

Thanks for the comments :)

It was indeed the London one, well...Greater London (took an age to find the bloody place). The Mag 20's are up for sale at the moment, they actually turned out to be in pretty good shape and not seized up as described, filthy again though.. Drapoon, I'll let you know if/when I'm selling..

I'll probably do some other pics in better light as soon as I fix the rear tyre, first ride I ended up blowing the tube, watch this space ;)

i love GT's high end steel bikes, ill see what i do with my Zaskar, but could trade it in for a nice steel frame.

Wow! another of the bikes I had back in the day. Did my first of many races on my 92 Bravado, and I'd love to get my hands on one in that sort of condition.
Good work on rescueing it. I saw that one on eBay but couldn't really justify going to London to pick it up, but I'm so glad it's gone to a good home.
Try and get some period correct grips though...

That's a lovely looking a GT.. Really warm to that year of bike, it just looks right and in fab condition. Nice colour too! :) Would be a shame to let that one go.

Back