Crank removal

spudgun

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi guys,struggling removing non drive side crank.It,s a square tapered flavour.Already snapped one extractor tool,bugger is siezed solid,any tips to loosen it up?

If extractor tools are snapping, I'm guessing that leverage isn't a problem :)

Is the crank arm a 'keeper' or can you destroy it?

If you're binning it, use a small saw to make a diagonal cut across the top of the arm (bottom bracket end) down to the bb axle, then drive a small chisel into the cut. This spreads the arm out at the taper and the arm will come off quite easily when 'encouraged' with a mallet.

What type of extractor are you using?

lay the bike on its side and pop a bolt in a few turns and fill the area with diesel . if you dont have that to hand use a water dispersant . wd40 or gt85 if you want it to smell nice :LOL:

leave over night

place a set of wedges between the crank arm and the bb cup.......use a g clamp to compress them in turn removing crank arm ...u may damage bb doing this but it does work.....lbs should have a set...if you do it yourself dont forget to grease the wedges ok.

some people have said just remove the crank bolt and ride round for a while and it may work itself loose.

that only works if your out in the middle of nowhere up the side of the mountain when its raining at night and your phone doesnt work..... :LOL:

perry":baau79hc said:
lay the bike on its side and pop a bolt in a few turns and fill the area with diesel . if you dont have that to hand use a water dispersant . wd40 or gt85 if you want it to smell nice :LOL:

leave over night
I'll give this a whirl tonight mate,cheers,don't fancy the wedge option.Hope it don't come to that.

i should have said u use 2 wedges ...1 on either opposite side and compress with the glamp...it never fails .

Back