Technical help required, steering and suspension forks

Russell

Old School Grand Master
I've fitted RC35s to the Prestige, but the steering has gone to s**t as a result. Everything is fine when you start to turn the bars, but when you turn the bars more than a few degrees they tuck under really sharply. Quite disconcerting!

How did we compensate for putting sussy forks on non-corrected frames back in the day? longer stem? Shorter stem? more rise? less rise? etc I can't remember.

Here's a pic of the front end.... anyone know how to solve this??? I'm desperate.

9763795a3279646635b819581771l.jpg

I wouldn't know but just looking at it there's a hell of a rake on it. Would a lower rise stem help?

orange71":g3iavqya said:
I wouldn't know but just looking at it there's a hell of a rake on it. Would a lower rise stem help?

Not sure, I was thinking maybe lower and longer? The forks do look 'raked out', you can get an idea of the correct horizon by looking at the kitchen top (dodgy camera angle!).

do,s it feel light front ended? i put some 35s on my alpinestars that was not corrected for sussers and it rode fine if maybe a little light

Have you tried rigid forks on the Prestige? I would to get a idea of how the bike rides and either isolate or exhonerate the forks as the source of the problem. The stem being shorter will help make the bike tuck in less.

I know you used to own one of these Russell so forgive me but...

Is it 'good' or 'bad', ie. is it a tuck in or just quick steering and is it rideable or not, if it is similar with rigid forks on then I would say it is a trait of the frame and either learn to live with it or sell it to me ;)

A longer stem would slow the steering down but it's already long-ish.

When you look at the pic and take into account that you made it look worse by taking it on an angle (or... your kitchen bench was made by someone with no level and his left leg well shorter than his right...) it doesn't look all that bad.

Does the Pace have removable staunchions? Can't tell from the pic. If so, you may be able to stick some staunchion out the top of the triple clamp and lower the front end. If this is doable make sure you won't smash the crown into the tyre at full compression.

Stem length is a funny thing, yes a shorter stem quickens the steering but if the bike has a non linear feel to the way it turns then the stem could be too long, try a modern Kona with a 135mm stem and it feels like the bike tucks in, it is also slower to respond, putting a shorter stem on quickens the steering but it also makes the turn in more linear and natural feeling.

Pace never sold shock boots and also advised against their use with Pace forks as they use all avalible stanchion. Not wise to up the leg in the crown. Good idea though if the fork was suitable.

i'd try a shorter stem
think there's a c-clip in some pace forks or a lip in the crown to stop the
stancions passing thru the crown.
may even be tyre related
just my 2p's worth
mike

increased fork rake will slow the steering down, a shorter stem will speed it up..

if the bike was not designed for sus. then whatever you do will be a comprimise.

riser bars will help. (although very outa place!)

i ran original rc35's on my 91 zinn z-centuar, with a 150mm control tech stem!!! it looked dam good, but that was it. rode like a pig in snow storm ;)

how about looking for forks with a shorter axle-to-crown height??

Back