DMR Trailstar

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Who's got one/had one? What they like etc any pics too would be nice :)

had one in 2000 but sold it and regreted it

bought another last year to fill the void and probably wont buy anything else for offroad

they are just about brilliant at anything if you can get over the weight . 4130 chromo makes it porky but tough

14"" c-c so you will need a long post . but that gives a nice cushion to the rear as it flexs slightly

im about 5"10 and find the lengths and geometry great . i use a 50mm stem . 26"" bars . rigid forks

the rear end is short enough to give a great snap out of the gate ( remember these were used when 4x was called bsx ) the front picks up nicely but is long enough that i struggle to lose grip with semi slick in mud uphill either seated or standing

anything specific you want to know ?

kaiser":1h1kjrs9 said:
Who's got one/had one? What they like etc any pics too would be nice :)

ME!!!! :D :D :D :D its honestly the best bike i've ever bought... mine was new in 2008 and came with horrible manitou stance forks which i ditched when they blew :shock: it is very heavy its super strong i've only ever seen one broken trailstar and that was because the owner hadn't put his seat-post in far enough and bent the frame...
mine was used mainly for jumping/faffing down the skatepark and scaring pedestrians in town but i've got a new secret jump frame for this summer so the trailstar is now in 'freeride hardtail' build, 2x9 X7/XT and 130mm forks and it rocks :D i was up haldon on it during the week and basically stayed up there all day just riding the downhill sections over and over all day :D :D :D
bike hoarder also has a trailstar, his is an older one i think and looks very nice, theres a link to a pic of it in his sig
heres mine:

Attachments

• trailstar.jpg
    trailstar.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 3,013
444944045_089a5c30b6.jpg

66df_1.jpg

i have my eye on the transparent red one on the bay

I had a Mk 1 back in 2000-ish and liked it. Nice little frame, fairly light, handled well.

Attachments

• DMR Trailstar.jpg
    DMR Trailstar.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 2,990
Having said that, I had an Azonic Steelhead a couple of years later and prefered the way it rode. It was a bit heavier, burlier, but seemed to ride all of the better for it.

Attachments

• Steelhead.jpg
    Steelhead.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 2,988
Only seem to hear good stuff about these recently. They've been around a while now so trendys look at other stuff.

I have ordered something similar but different as i wanted slightly different geo, slacker head angle and longer TT, but got short rear.

Good stuff guys :D in my quest for a new singlespeed I'm thinking of one of these. Easy to SS(I think?) nice steel frame, modern geo willl take modern forks, getting quite cheap and has a wee pedigree. Hopefully could build into a more useable SS rig than converting a retro bike.

Can anyone tell me about the rear dropouts?

Picturexfvbcbvcvb001-3.jpg

Picturexfvbcbvcvb002-3.jpg

you will find either the horizontal 5mm or the vertical with replaceable hanger

the original trialstar had no disc mount ( if you find one of those let me know ) but after that they all had one . in about 2001ish the canti mounts became APS to allow their removal or to change psition for either 26 or 24 inch wheel . they were available with either mtb bottom bracket or the bmx american size . the laest ones have swopout dropouts

if you have your eye on something let me know , there are a few variations over the years and there are a few iss listings on ebay at the moment :roll:

oh and you will notice the crud cather mounts . a cable stop for a front mech and not obvious in the photo but the slot on the seat tube is at the front . british company :cool:

kaiser":360fym1x said:
Good stuff guys :D in my quest for a new singlespeed I'm thinking of one of these. Easy to SS(I think?) nice steel frame, modern geo willl take modern forks, getting quite cheap and has a wee pedigree. Hopefully could build into a more useable SS rig than converting a retro bike.

Can anyone tell me about the rear dropouts?

mine has standard vertical dropouts but if you buy a brand new frame they come with dmr's 'swop-outs' you'll be able to buy horizontal dropouts (£25 or thereabouts)... when i ran mine singlespeed i used the chain roller (frame has iscg tabs) and knocked it round to tension the chain :D

theres some trailstar frames on ebay for bin £99.99 they have horizontal dropouts but it's the one with the bmx bb (dmr do a converter to run mtb bb)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DMR-Trailstar-Fra ... 1|240:1318

rich

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back