I love mountain biking because....

I love the feeling of adrenalin rushing through me when im boming back down hills, especially those mad man made trails in wales :D
Also,i feel like ive done something with my sundays.Not to mention the fitness!!

fitness,fun, shiney bits,mud,sky,hills,trees,being in the middle of noware
with a bunch of mates gibbering pish about all sorts of stuff,cold water
and mars bars,the grin on the face of a newbee after you bring him down that special trail for the first time,the feeling of buying a "new"
bike,mending punctures/chains in the mud on a wet tuesday night,seeing wildlife,meeting like minded folk,being wet,muddy and happy, falling off and laughing about it ,and all the rest.
mike

and of course retrobike

Those pictures of riders drinking beer must be taken at the Real Ale Wobble, brilliant event, a quality mixture of mountain biking and beer drinking. Do they still do stair surfing at the Neudd Arms Hotel afterwards? I have scars to prove I was once quite good at it!

These days I concentrate my efforts on the beer drinking side of the activity.

REKIBorter":32sqhfuy said:
Those pictures of riders drinking beer must be taken at the Real Ale Wobble, brilliant event, a quality mixture of mountain biking and beer drinking. Do they still do stair surfing at the Neudd Arms Hotel afterwards? I have scars to prove I was once quite good at it!

These days I concentrate my efforts on the beer drinking side of the activity.

Mate - we started the stair diving (I think!)!! It was our group who one year had a huge crowd gathered round the bottom of the stairs in the Neuadd Arms and even the local press turned up and took photos. I was the one with the grey fleecy jumper and orange baseball cap who would lie down face up, head pointing down the stairs and my mate stood on me and 'surfed' me down the stairs!! Got some photos somewhere to prove it. I'll see if I can dig them out. It was us who started the Blue Nose thing too...oh happy days! Still go every year.

A-ha. Found them. From 1998 I think. My personal favourite is the 2 man toboggan, we did try 4 man, but it got so heavy that I couldn't slide down the stairs I just was stuck!!

Attachments

• The Surf.jpg
    The Surf.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,566
  • The Slide.jpg
    The Slide.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,566
  • The Trample Surf.jpg
    The Trample Surf.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,566
  • The Two Man Toboggan.jpg
    The Two Man Toboggan.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,566
Unbeatable for father/son bonding.
DSC05733.jpg

DSC05644.jpg

DSC05733.jpg

In my head, I'm imagining that the trail in the middle of the picture is a fantastic twisty technical downhill that leads all the way down to the fields you can see in the distance :)

Unbeatable for father/son bonding.

In that second photo he looks like he's thinking "I'm cold, it's raining, Dad's brought be to see this f****ing lake in the middle of Bumblef*ck, can we go home yet?..." :D

Wow, what a post.. What a question! The escapism, the thrill of clearing a section you thought you'd stack.. The air rushing past your face down a section of singletrack.. The speed.. The wipeouts.. The views.. The friendships.. The common ground..

And that's just half of it.. Taking the bike apart to clean it then re-assembling it again.. Leaving it for weeks covered in mud just so you walk past it and remember that last ride.. :cool:

I've let biking drop off my map over here, and all you guys on Retrobike have made me realise how much it meant [and means] to me now.. :D

Back