Who uses GPS?

What do you think to GPS units?

• Great.. I have one!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I love the idea and would buy one.

• I love the idea but they are too expensive.

• I'm not techy enough to work one.

• I think that they are a stupid idea.. buy a map!!

• Total voters
The A to Z does the job just as well and is cheaper. And don't need batteries :LOL:

Nothing flash for me, just a Nokia N82 with Nokia Maps installed, also installed an application that uses GPS to track total distance, ave & top speed, total time etc.

And it always doubles as a phone if needed ;)

It dawned on me this morning: when using a map, I navigate from my surroundings so need to look around me. My friend uses his GPS and spends the ride looking at a 2" screen.

Kestonian":10vlt798 said:
It dawned on me this morning: when using a map, I navigate from my surroundings so need to look around me. My friend uses his GPS and spends the ride looking at a 2" screen.

So true. It better to look around than at a tiny screen :D

ive only ever seen 2 of them in the wild . both in the same place and both in an area you really wouldnt need one . i for instance didnt even bother looking at a map , its hard to get lost going around a lake :LOL:

i did notice they both spent a lot of time looking down . i should have asked if they could get cycling.tv on it :LOL:

when i need to get a new phone ill probably get one thats gpsable . just so i can find the way if needed

Some good comments here guys, keep em coming.

I suppose that there are two sides to the GPS phenomena, navigation, which I really appreciate as I get anxious if I'm riding and I don't know where I am. Ok I might spend a little time looking at a little screen, but overall I enjoy the experience far more.

The other side is the training aspect. The GPS just provides so much insight into your ride that it just encourages you to ride more. I've attached a set of stats that came off my GPS after a brief ride in the peaks last saturday. Please don't judge, It was a very short ride and the 3 foot of snow at the top of Mam Tor did have us walking! :LOL:

Attachments

• GPS.png
    GPS.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 628
i saw software like this in 82 in west germany........it was inside a truck with a mobile icbm on the back about 30 foot long.........open day at 94 locating reg in celle.........nuke the russkis .....ahhhh the good old days of the cold war and open days at ya dads work place.my neighbour on sundays would be in the garden cleaning his assult rifles..... ...the things you see as a child...sheesh :p

Back