Who uses GPS?

What do you think to GPS units?

• Great.. I have one!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I love the idea and would buy one.

• I love the idea but they are too expensive.

• I'm not techy enough to work one.

• I think that they are a stupid idea.. buy a map!!

• Total voters
i want one but everytime i have been to a shop or bike show and spoke to garmin or looked them up on the net i just ended up getting confused as to which model to buy! the sales guys can never seem to tell me what each unit does without baffling me! or giving me too many options rather than saying "yep, that one is perfect for you."

i just want it to point me in the direction i need to go in for the map i have loaded on it preferably with a bit of a detailed map picture, a simple satnav, if it comes with other stuff great but i have a cateye computer for all the other stuff so don't really need any more than the map stuff.

so you guys are using the edge 605/705? i assume from reactions you're pleased with them.

are they simple to use?

is it easy to add the map software?

is it easy to create you own routes and add them?

is it dumbass proof?

:D

icantthinkofausername":1l26v9a6 said:
Steve- All GPS' have a base map installed as standard. On the edge models this is shite! It shows big roads such as A-roads and Motorways but it doesn't really show anything small. To get this you will have to get seperate software. The main software for Garmin is their own software, TOPO. However the TOPO software (for the UK anyway, the canadian software is amazing!!) is OK. I was expecting something better TBH, the paths can disappear and then reappear randomly missed lengths of path! GPS IMO is not a replacement for OS maps but a supplement. You can plan a route and then follow the arrow on the screen around your route without worrying that you have overcooked the straight and missed you turn.

I have to agree, Its all about the preparation before hand, planning out a route, or downloading a gpx file containing a route that someone else has done, rather then just using it navigate on the fly. Although they do have a great back to start feature which allows you to go out exploring in the knowledge that you'll always be able to get back to your car!

jonnyboy666":2z6zs1pl said:
i want one but everytime i have been to a shop or bike show and spoke to garmin or looked them up on the net i just ended up getting confused as to which model to buy! the sales guys can never seem to tell me what each unit does without baffling me! or giving me too many options rather than saying "yep, that one is perfect for you."

i just want it to point me in the direction i need to go in for the map i have loaded on it preferably with a bit of a detailed map picture, a simple satnav, if it comes with other stuff great but i have a cateye computer for all the other stuff so don't really need any more than the map stuff.

so you guys are using the edge 605/705? i assume from reactions you're pleased with them.

are they simple to use?

is it dumbass proof?

I was in the same mind as you, they are not marketed very well. Put it this way, It was a complete git to set up, literally hours of pulling my hair out due to Garmin being inept at producing software that registers properly (MapSource needs to be registered to the GPS to unlock it), BUT, once up and running, its a doddle to use, and quite intuitive.

cheers for the answer :D

git to set up eh? i'm stuffed then!! :LOL: i'll have a look at them again then

OrangeRetro":32l6nebs said:
jonnyboy666":32l6nebs said:

are they simple to use?

is it dumbass proof?

I was in the same mind as you, they are not marketed very well. Put it this way, It was a complete git to set up, literally hours of pulling my hair out due to Garmin being inept at producing software that registers properly (MapSource needs to be registered to the GPS to unlock it), BUT, once up and running, its a doddle to use, and quite intuitive.

Ditto, It took me about 4 hours before I decided to e-mail all of my codes to Garmin and let them deal with it! Firstly you need to register your GPS. Then you need to register your software to your GPS this then give you another number that you have to use to unlock the software. Once up and running it is easy to use.

The main difference between the 605 and the 705 is that the 605 doesn't have the heart rate monitor that the 705 has. If you are anywhere near Newbury you can go for a ride/walk with my 605 if you want.

jonnyboy666":2sr66ank said:
cheers for the answer :D

git to set up eh? i'm stuffed then!! :LOL: i'll have a look at them again then

Once you know how its easy. Just ignore the registration through the MapSource software itself and do it online through the Garmin website. That will provide you with the unlock code to register it all, and then just download the latest firmware for the GPS and the updates for Mapsource.

I'm definitely in the map camp - there's something about poring over a map for days, planning out a route, getting totally lost and finding yourself again, safe in the knowledge that you won't run out of batteries, or spend ages trying to find a signal in a forest.

But, I can see the use. We did a race in Belgium, and I delegated the navigation to the start from London to someone with GPS. We arrived, no problems, no maps, nothing. Having said that, I passed a map of Belgium to my team members and said "ok, where are we?" and none of them knew.

For a lot of adventure races, map reading is key. I thought was good at navigating until I went on a training weekend with a guy who would make us do 5km sections without checking the map again (to save time). You had 2 minutes to memorise the route to the next checkpoint, then put the map in the bag, and say when we got there.

I guess I don't like the thought of needing 3 US satellites to get to the shops ...

Kestonian":2oka6ihl said:
I'm definitely in the map camp - there's something about poring over a map for days, planning out a route, getting totally lost and finding yourself again, safe in the knowledge that you won't run out of batteries, or spend ages trying to find a signal in a forest.

A fair point. I must stress that I do still carry a map, just in case it dies.. :shock: Imagine being stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing!

As for the signal, I was so surprise to find that it works anywhere, even indoors! Its far better then the receiver in my Garmin Nuvi car sat nav!

i just use google earth on my e71....i get pretty pictures too.....shame its not very upto date.i also use my gizmondo with r66 backed up on it.i also want the sony psp satnav thingie but thats just cos i like the gadgets........suzie perry ........oh boy. :oops:

Back