Who uses GPS?

What do you think to GPS units?

• Great.. I have one!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I love the idea and would buy one.

• I love the idea but they are too expensive.

• I'm not techy enough to work one.

• I think that they are a stupid idea.. buy a map!!

• Total voters

OrangeRetro

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I recently purchased myself a nice shiny Garmin Edge 705 and think that it is awesome.

I always feared going out into the wild as I am absolutely rubbish as orienteering and get lost very, very easily. I'm now exploring the Peaks and loving it, so much so that I have had a cunning plan for a new business based on this technology. The only thing is, it will only work if I can attract enough people who already have them..

So do you have a GPS unit, if so what do you have? Would you buy one, or do you think its all just technology gone mad?! :|

Thanks in advance.. :D

I have a Edge 605. I wouldn't really use the other features that the 705 came with. Works off the bike to find shops, pubs etc found a couple of Geocaches with mine too. Top bit of kit.

Buy a map and learn how to use it, GPS have there uses mainly for people who cant read a map. Getting lost and getting out of it is all part of the adventure.

icantthinkofausername":2ej4ik08 said:
I have a Edge 605. I wouldn't really use the other features that the 705 came with. Works off the bike to find shops, pubs etc found a couple of Geocaches with mine too. Top bit of kit.

Cool, just what i was looking for.. do you use the Garmin connect website to upload your ride data?

I use a map, always have done but I'm intrigued by GPS.

Is it right that the Garmin units don't show, tracks / bridleways etc? Do you have to use some other programme to show them?

:)

I have an Edge 705, just got it with Topo maps of UK. Amazing bit of kit although still learning. Love the fact that you can download your routes and save them, wiew on map, compare etc. I can read maps but this is maps and soooo much more!

stevek":3hqoxz3j said:
I use a map, always have done but I'm intrigued by GPS.

Is it right that the Garmin units don't show, tracks / bridleways etc? Do you have to use some other programme to show them?

:)

The base maps that come pre installed have very little detail, but you can buy the unit bundled with mapping software called TOPO mapsource that will load far more detailed maps onto the unit for the specific location that you are riding in. This shows bridleways etc..

I use mine in conjunction with MapSource and Google Earth. that way I can plan out a track, and then look at it in more detail on the 3D satellite view on Google Earth.

Yes - in the car....

Will be investing in one for the bike though. Would have been a godsend when I was riding round in unknown places in Germany in November.

OrangeRetro":3s1mjlfj said:
icantthinkofausername":3s1mjlfj said:

Cool, just what i was looking for.. do you use the Garmin connect website to upload your ride data?

No I don't use the Garmin Website. Although the virtual training buddy is great fun!

Steve- All GPS' have a base map installed as standard. On the edge models this is shite! It shows big roads such as A-roads and Motorways but it doesn't really show anything small. To get this you will have to get seperate software. The main software for Garmin is their own software, TOPO. However the TOPO software (for the UK anyway, the canadian software is amazing!!) is OK. I was expecting something better TBH, the paths can disappear and then reappear randomly missed lengths of path! GPS IMO is not a replacement for OS maps but a supplement. You can plan a route and then follow the arrow on the screen around your route without worrying that you have overcooked the straight and missed you turn.

OrangeRetro":pnjc7h6u said:
The base maps that come pre installed have very little detail, but you can buy the unit bundled with mapping software called TOPO mapsource that will load far more detailed maps onto the unit for the specific location that you are riding in. This shows bridleways etc..

I use mine in conjunction with MapSource and Google Earth. that way I can plan out a track, and then look at it in more detail on the 3D satellite view on Google Earth.

Thanks for the info. :D

Back