My cheap Audiophile stereo

bennyboy":3f9dkf0m said:
I thought this was Retro, where's the turntable?? ;)
This is my setup, used to work in Hi Fi many many moons ago so had a couple of nice cheap scores :cool:

RIG.jpg

I have not found a nice enough one yet. I found a denon that matches my pre amp. I am working my way on that one.

Your picture did not load by the way.

OOoh... my current system cost me personally about £700 GBP - that was when I bought the speakers new in 1994, the rest has come from car boot sales or the local recycling centre.

bennyboy":1diy16hs said:
BikesINPortlandOREGON":1diy16hs said:
Anyone have anything like this on here? I know some of you like to have some tunes while you work on bikes.

I thought this was Retro, where's the turntable?? ;)
This is my setup, used to work in Hi Fi many many moons ago so had a couple of nice cheap scores :cool:

RIG.jpg

Is that a MF Electra amp? Linn TT? That MF probably runs warmer than the valve amp below. ;)

If I spend any more then 600 I am going all in and getting that McIntosh system. I don't know what speakers yet but, There are a lot of really Impressive sounding sets.

The Audiolab v TAG McLaren arguement was quite fierce until people grew up - the redsigned TAG stuff was different and more reliable/ stable with different speaker designs than the Audiolab 8000 series.

never had an argument about it, but it was initially marketed as being the same but better, and it wasnt. ceratainly got pushed hard by the dealers at the time. yeah the audiolab stuff was always breaking, and those blue leds never came cheap.

his is my setup, used to work in Hi Fi many many moons ago so had a couple of nice cheap scores Cool

i like it, nice valves, but what is going on there? valve phono, transistor pre, and valve power? i had an elektra e10 a while back. did like that big friendly nob

I only like tube equipment if I am running speakers like Klipsch K horns or similar.

I am running tube stuff in the living room with full range single way speakers and it sound pretty darn goo if you ask me.

W W Biffta":4c4i5n86 said:
The Audiolab v TAG McLaren arguement was quite fierce until people grew up - the redsigned TAG stuff was different and more reliable/ stable with different speaker designs than the Audiolab 8000 series.

never had an argument about it, but it was initially marketed as being the same but better, and it wasnt. ceratainly got pushed hard by the dealers at the time. yeah the audiolab stuff was always breaking, and those blue leds never came cheap.

his is my setup, used to work in Hi Fi many many moons ago so had a couple of nice cheap scores Cool

i like it, nice valves, but what is going on there? valve phono, transistor pre, and valve power? i had an elekra e10 a while back. did like that big friendly nob

Although superficially similar, technically it (TMA) was better, alot of internal components were better grade, better power supplies and so-on.

TAG McLaren needed a base to start from, the best components came right at the end. The 250M was the best value/perfoming power amp, the DVD32R one of the best CD transports in the world and the AV32R one of the best AV processors/ stereo pre-amps available.

If I was buying new again, it would be a big Denon/ Marantz or Pioneer AV reciever, cos they work.
But I wouldnt becuase, as with cars, theres loads of decent old stuff about.

This would be my hobby if I wasn't into old bikes :D I always swore if I became disabled in some way so I couldn't ride bikes or blind I'd become an audiophile and test kit for magazines etc.

Back