Marin 1990 Bear Valley Rebuild - FINISHED !!! PAGE 38 !!!

I didnt use Mansfield - I used Colour Anodising as they are near to me and I can drop stuff off and talk face to face with them. I also picked up off another thread that Mansfield had put there min charge up somewhat so they didnt have a price advantage anymore either :( this is the third batch they have done for me and the only one with any problems - and only on old stuff that was unprotected / scratched :(

Anyhow, the fork threader turned up :

DSC03751.jpg

And this is how the forks looked after the initial putty coating and running a old headset up and down :

DSC03741.jpg

I will post some finished pictures when done but the threads are looking better still - you cant even pick out where the groove was for the tab washer.

I wish now that I had taken pictures before I started - the only reason I didnt is because I actually thought it would be pointless and the forks would be scrap :shock:

WD :D

WD Pro":xsfptyqi said:
Hopefully the next update will have pictures of the repaired forks and machined XT thumbies – sourced via Canada from RockiMtn :cool: Then I can finally start building the thing … :LOL: :LOL:

Look forward to what you do with the XT thumbies and how it will look reincarnated! With the top notch effort you've put into everything so far, this bike will look sweet!

cheers!

This has to be the forums most eagerly anticipated thread.. I got a little excited when I saw that it had bubbled to the top.. but to no avail.. How's she looking WD? :)

OrangeRetro":39e5wlli said:
This has to be the forums most eagerly anticipated thread.. I got a little excited when I saw that it had bubbled to the top.. but to no avail.. How's she looking WD? :)

Thanks for the comments :oops:

It is in need of an update but I don’t have a massive amount to report :LOL: :LOL: :oops:

I have finished the fork threads and the borrowed tool has been returned – I am very happy with how they look but time will tell how they last … :?

I managed to save myself some work as I have sourced a ‘headlock’ from ‘Bikeshopowner’ :

gorilla_1381.jpg

I am relying on this to support the top cup as the top 10mm of threads on the fork were good. I am just going to spin it up in the lathe to clean up the outside and then polish it so it matches the stem.

The XT shifters arrived courtesy of ‘RockiMtn’. They have been stripped and have had the bands machined as per the brake levers / front derailleur. I have only finished one so far as it’s a bit tricky to polish the insides of the slot as it is only 4mm – the other parts were much easier to do due to the bigger slots :LOL:

The Bullseye jockey wheels have had the bearings pressed / loctited back in.

I never noticed when I was younger but the cantilevers had a noticeable amount of fore and aft play on the mounts. I am not so keen on this so I have made up some stainless recessed washers that fit / work perfectly. I tried ally at first but it was to soft and deformed when the bolts were tightened :(

I have polished up the front of the Ti bars (First time I have hand polished Ti – it’s a bit hard / time consuming compared to ally and even stainless :shock: ) ready for the next stage. I have also sourced some Ti bar ends from ‘chris667’ to replace the ally ones as I wasn’t happy with after the anodizing. When they arrive they will be treated the same as the bars.

I also sourced some Ti chain ring bolts from ‘Disco Drive’, not that they will ever get noticed but I hate looking at steel bolts that have started going a bit scabby down the hex.

I will try and get some pictures of all the above and then post them up in one go – hopefully tomorrow but we will see if my limited net time allows … :(

WANTED : If anyone can help I am looking for (to finish the build) :

Old style USE Ti post 25.0 dia – Not bothered about clamp color or condition as I have some black hard anodized stuff to go on it.

Chain rings : 94 BCD – Outer and middle in large sizes (min of 48T for outer) – either black or silver – condition must be A1 or hopefully even NOS :D

Couple of picture updates based on my last post :

The headlock cleaned up really well, just need to get a new O ring for it now :

DSC03809.jpg

DSC03814.jpg

This is the only pic I have of the shifter mods so far :

DSC03805.jpg

The canti washers as made (The side facing up faces inwards when fitted) :

DSC03799.jpg

And then polished / fitted :

DSC03828.jpg

Some of the re-anodized / rebuilt stuff (some earlier pictures of the Ringle seat clamp and modified / new bits are further up the thread) :

DSC03818.jpg

DSC03830.jpg

If I remember and have the time I will get some more pictures taken and posted early next week :D

WD Pro":2qnj5man said:
Couple of picture updates based on my last post :

The headlock cleaned up really well, just need to get a new O ring for it now :

DSC03809.jpg

DSC03814.jpg

Thats not the same headlock!!!! Nurse, I need my prescription again!

;)

Back