Sign 'o' the times....

years ago id have quoffed at anyone having someting that wasnt top spec

i had a mate who would say " lx is good enough for me " yes we berated him with snobbery at every opertunity :LOL: but it worked just as well as the overpriced stuff so it kinda makes sense now the years have gone by

and the really really good stuff isnt really really good unless you have to save for it ;)

Just make sure it's the M5xx LX and not the T6xx LX ;)

Though it'll probably be SLX you start to buy and to be honest it's damn good stuff from what I have seen.

ive blinked in the last minuite so have lost track of shimanos heirachy . is slx replacing lx ? or is deore being bumped up to lx level ?

its a conspiracy i tell thee . just a way that new bikes can be sold to yoofs that leave us oldies stood together muttering while we try and compare it to groupsets past

" slx erm budget :?: "

" nah its gunna be near the top that fella :idea: "

" reallly :?: :!: whats it cost :? "

" looks shiny but im not gunna pass judgement until i know its cost :idea: "

Since I joined retrobike late last year, modern to me was M900 XTR. (still is but hey) but since been learning

But (ignoring the Hone/Saint specific stuff)

SLX slipped in between XT (M7xx) and LX (M5xx) but is a 2009 groupset. (like DX was in the early 90's)

Now LX has gone over to the T6xx naming with a roadie design I guess for everyday Trekking riding (what most of us really do ;)), bridal paths, country roads) for the 2009 groupset and the MTB groupset has been dropped and the new one seems bloody expensive now.

So for
MTB XTR (and Yumeya upgrades), Deore XT, SLX, Deore, and the lower groupsets.

For Trekking Deore XT, Deore LX

Recently got a SLX crank and am now running SLX shifters on one bike, tbh can't seem much difference to XT other than finishes and a few grams. Not sure I'd want to downgrade XT rear mechs and cassettes though as they need to take a hammering.

For me XTR is and always has been too expensive for trail riding when the durability is no better than XT, which itself isn't stunning :? However that said if I had the money (and maybe a few less bikes to keep running) I would :twisted:

Go on splash out on the xtr and run 3 chains (keep them in the same order) and change them often then the cassette and chainrings will last for years.

toadoftoadhall":2v6yyjru said:
Go on splash out on the xtr and run 3 chains (keep them in the same order) and change them often then the cassette and chainrings will last for years.

I tried that once, didnt make any difference.

if I fit a brand new chain & cassette & then swap to a new 2nd chain 3weeks later, the chain skips wildly over the cassette. but hey its no big deal, i get them cheap enuff.

Back