'Dillo Tough! - 'Chocolate' '93 Fuquay Custom. Finished!

that's absolutely gorgeous matey. i nearly shat me wack when i saw the wheels & cranks you've got on there, exactly the sort of kit i want for my build.

muchos kudos sir, a standard to aspire to!

Very nice, but the proportions seem a little goofy. Is it really as short, seat to bars, as it looks? :?

I dig the brown and red. :cool:

wasn't sure about brown and red but looks good all together!

worth the wait, great build.

(not keen on the bar ends)

The frame and forks are gorgeous fella....but....and I don't want to rain on your parade...the red components on brown arn't doing anything for me :(
In my humble...the red stuff/white cables and green hangers are detracting my eye from a stunning frame.
Hey, but it's not my bike ;) :)

utahdog2003":oeuou2yv said:
Very nice, but the proportions seem a little goofy. Is it really as short, seat to bars, as it looks? :?

I dig the brown and red. :cool:

It is a little on the short side saddle-to-bars but that is compounded by the rails of the Brooks bending way too early and the in-line USE seatpost. I was toying with the idea of 'adjusting' the bend of the rails and I will use a layback 'post as soon as I can find one (I can't find a 27.2mm X-Lite with a red clamp for love nor money :roll: )
With both of these measures, I will gain 2" of reach, making it perfect for me! ;)

jez-4-bikes-max":oeuou2yv said:
Red and green bits on a brown frame?

Was kinda expecting it to have silver posh kit on it...

Pete_mcc did the silver kit on a classic British frame much better than I could have. Besides, this whole project was aimed at recreating what I would have done BITD given a massive wedge of cash. And I don't think I have made many compromises...
By the way, this has taken so long because I don't have (and certainly wasn't prepared to spend) a massive wedge of cash - I have scavenged parts from at least 10 different bikes to source parts for this project (the most fun part for me, as well as a way of raising a little 'bike money'!)

Harryburgundy":oeuou2yv said:
The frame and forks are gorgeous fella....but....and I don't want to rain on your parade...the red components on brown arn't doing anything for me :(
In my humble...the red stuff/white cables and green hangers are detracting my eye from a stunning frame.
Hey, but it's not my bike ;) :)

The white outers were only put on to guage their look - I might not run with it like that (the front runs are way too short anyway!) The green was chosen to pick out the green in the 'Salsa', 'Mavic' and 'USE' stickers, as well as to break up a sea of red which might otherwise have looked a bit boring. As for not doing anything for you - it really does it for me (I mean really!) so the fact that it isn't everyone's cup of tea doesn't offend at all - if anything it affirms the component choices (and colours) as my choices... ;)

Pedals added:

Picture396.jpg

Another pic:

Picture395.jpg

Full Spec:

Frame: 1993 Fuquay Custom 17.5" Tange Prestige Ultimate Ultrastrong

Fork: 1" Fuquay Gumbo

Headset: 1" Mavic 315
Stem: Salsa (Ti Bolts)
Handlebar: X-Lite 540 Pro Titanium
Grips:
Barends: X-Lite Alto Pro (Ti Bolts)

Brakes: Paul Components Crosstop front, Paul Components Stoplight rear (Ti Bolts & Pad holders)
Brake Pads: Kool Stop
Brake Cables:
Cantilever cable hangers: Ringle Mojo rear
Brake Levers: X-Lite Chicken Stix

Shifters: Shimano Deore XT M732 Thumbshifters
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M901 (Alloy Bolts)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR M900 (Middleburn Breakaway, Alloy Bolts)
Derailleur Cables:
Cassette: Shimano XTR M900, TNT Lockring
Chain:
Cranks: Middleburn RS2
Crank Bolts: Zero Zippies
Chainrings: Pace RC20
Chainring bolts: Allintex Alloy outers, Venhill Titanium inners
Bottom Bracket: Royce Titanium
Pedals: Speedplay Magnum

Hub Skewers: X-Lite Camloks
Rims: Mavic 117 SUP CD
Hubs: Hope Ti-Glide rear, Radial front (special order hub BITD)
Nipples: DT Alloy
Spokes: DT Double Butted
Tyres: Ritchey Z-Max WCS 1.9 'Red'
Tubes: Air-B Latex

Saddle: Brooks Swift, Titanium Rails
Seatpost: USE (Not for long, hopefully!)
Seatpost Binder: X-Lite Camlok
Bottle Cage: Ringle H2O

Weight: Hmmm... (Pretty Light!)

All in all, 11 British manufacturers have made it into the build so far (one of my main objectives): Allintex, Brooks, Fuquay, Hope, Middleburn, Pace, Royce, USE, Venhill, X-Lite & Zero (there are a couple still to come!) along with 3 US companies: Paul Components, Ringle & Salsa

Back