Best laptop under £400

stew-b":2egp49qf said:
again,you will be hard pushed to buy one that isnt wireless enabled already ;)

Yes, but you can always switch it off. Most laptops now come with a button to turn it off for security.

For £330 you could get her a Dell laptop in pink, then spend another £30 on a wireless router. Then she can sit in the garden, watch TV, cook etc.

stew-b":i6urn2di said:
yes i know but i think he was thinking that only more expensive models come with it.

Subconciously i think i did, a mate bought a laptop for £700 and was complaining that he had to buy an extra bit to run it wireless, that was a few years ago though.

If most are wireless enabled already and it'll just mean getting a wireless router i'll probably get her to go for that, the provider may even supply a wireless router or have an option of one.

Cheers for the suggestions LGF but the screens on the first two netbooks would be too wee i think, the last HP laptop looks good though.

vista ! pc world !!

dont you like your mum ?

you could do better than vista from pc world :LOL:

ive had one of these for a few years . cheap now though

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/dell-inspiron-150 ... 240%3A1318

a screen is easy to replace

or this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HP-Compaq-6720s-l ... 240%3A1318

or how about this leg breaker

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dell-Precision-M9 ... 240%3A1318

i wont be buying another pc new again , id rather spend a fraction of the retail price for a year old ( or older machine ) and when this one is getting relegated ill be looking for a thinkpad

chris will send you a nice copy of puppy linux so you dont have to line the pockets of billy gates

and read some of the many reviews for whatever she chooses after all you dont want something that overheats or flexs when picked up from the corner or has a screen only viewable from straight ahead

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Dell !!!! But then maybe im biassed due to there name ?? ;)

Bought mine on Eaby for £350 and its tops :D Dell XPS M1710 with top spec !!

Del

PC world ain't ideal but it's handy to get to and at least the laptop can be seen, tried and handled before bought.

At least i can use the knowledge gained from the info on this thread as ammo for when the staff hit me with their bullsh*te :LOL:

if they arnt bolted down try and pick them up from the front corner ( its how you will be picking it up anyway ) and see how much it flexs and creaks

the hinge will need to be robust . it gets opened and closed a lot so wears out

ac plug any good ? it sticks out so is easilly knocked so needs to be durable

the higher the numbers in computing the betterer :LOL: 2gb ram is better than 1gb . a 2ghz processor is likely to be quicker than a 1.6mhz but look at things like the bus speed too

research the components that are inside the laptop . go for a better motherboard over a bigger hardrive . harddrives are easilly upgraded but a motherboard with the video card combined is going to make upgrading in a few years possibly unviable

Back