kirbdugs kona cinder cone (white)

forks

thanks for the offer wold ranger. if i put suspension forks on they will be pace ones. but i wanted project 2s, i will probably get shorter ones in the next month or two.
cheers kirbdug :D

ride

took the kona out today.brought back memories of the old race days.went along torquay sea front then into cockington woods to get muddy.loved the ride :D

Attachments

• retro 002.JPG
    retro 002.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 1,589
  • retro 004.JPG
    retro 004.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,589
Forks

Pace Forks on a Kona? Sacrilage Man! Has to be US forks. Pace are all pretty tall too, unless you go for 35 series? I only want £30 posted for them.

Forks

Took the kona for it's first proper ride 15/3, at the f.o.d retrobike meet. The bike handled well with it's 44cm project 2 forks, which will now stay on it.. Good weather great ride just a few changes to make.I'm impressed with guybes and gravy monsters White konas. Kirbdug

Woooo. That's my bike right there, well not that one but the 97 CC.

I have to agree and say I'm not a fan of those forks, they look too long but hey, if it works for you, it works for you and thats what counts.

I'm currently rebuilding mine, I have the Mountain Shock "version". Managed to purchase a sweet almost new looking air of Indy C's off evilbay for under £25 as my originals were well and truely knackered.

Thread et al to come...

She's safe

Haven't seen my kona for a while. The wife wants a seperation so I had to go. Wife moved out earlier this week so I moved back into the house while it's up for sale. Put guybes middleburn cranks on. Will post pics when I get my life sorted.
Cheers kirbdug

Kirbdug
More than one coincidence reading through that thread...
I spoke to 1st Choice yesterday re powder coating my P2's, sounded pretty clued up re frames/forks, said he did a lot of them - looking at your CC I can see he was right, very nice.
I'm in the process of 'refreshing' my '91 CC. I'm not a rivet counter, so 100% originality is not important to me, but I want it to look 'right'. So even though it now sports Deore mechs & v-brakes rather than the Suntour XC Ltd kit, I'm keen to keep the period look, so have retained the Kona 165 flat bars, XC Ltd crank, and sourced a NOS syncros cattleprod in black, which was as close to the original velocity as I could find. Has Campag' rims on Parallax LX hubs, and will shortly be wearing a charge spoon saddle as I haven't managed to find another avocet.
Frame, in black is pretty good, will look to get this done next year, but the forks are very scabby now hence my impending visit to 1st Choice.
Well, there you have it, and the third coincidence...? I live about 2 mins from where you took the pics of your CC in Cockington.
Might need to pick your brains over the coming weeks / months as I tackle some of the other jobs that need doing - I'm not that clued up on the oily bits, have the enthusiasm though...should be fun...
Cheers
BB

my kona

finally finished the kona today. put guybes rs3 middleburn cranks on with new rings fitted. also fitted are gadros nos rock shox 97 judy xc. did have some white panaracer magics on it took them off as there was too much white going on. picked up new project yesterday a 1990 kona lava dome from space monkey to start shortly

your comments please
cheers kirbdug

Attachments

• kirbys own phone 288.JPG
    kirbys own phone 288.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,050
  • kirbys own phone 291.JPG
    kirbys own phone 291.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,050
  • kirbys own phone 285.JPG
    kirbys own phone 285.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 964