KHS Montana XT Complete 15th Feb

utahdog2003":30xztnrh said:
You could straighten that stem and use it, no problem. Steel baby! :D

Gonna give it a go. Its at work just now awaiting surgery :D

WD Pro":3rppwprh said:
If you decide to repaint I have a NOS Tange frame sticker the same as the one that is currently on :D

Leave the U brake on :cool:

WD :D

:cool: will keep it in mind

kaiser":1emj9ibb said:
utahdog2003":1emj9ibb said:
You could straighten that stem and use it, no problem. Steel baby! :D

Gonna give it a go. Its at work just now awaiting surgery :D

Have now written the stem off :( liked it too, and now on the look out for summat quirky to replace it.

Ha, I was going to go for that too. Would have made a great home for my 87 XT groupset, four-finger levers, dome-topped thumbies, the works. let me know if you give up as i'd still like it.

The old spiel from the original post

Caught this on ebay and as the week passed became quite smitten by it, always fancied something older and liked the colour of this as well as slowly finding my favourite bikes tend to be steel. Quite chuffed when I got it not quite as bad as the description stated(needed a respray) and came with an XT headset, BB and rear Ubrake. Also a nice touch was the stem with the hollow bolt and roller and bottle mounts :cool: this turned out to be short lived mind as when I put the bars in it was obvious that the stem was twisted, you can see in one of the pics.

Plans are still in flux, reckon it'll be a cheap rebuild and ride but, really tempted to go the whole hog. Maybe ride it for a while and decide. Anyway slow winter project so plenty can change :roll:

Gonna try to fix the stem too, I'll blast it and heat it, try to pull it back into shape. Its too nice a touch to consign to the bin. Also daj has gave me a nice set of wheels which need rebuilding should suit the build down to the ground. :D

Please feel free to give me your opinions :D

3013160134_77dca08fc1_b.jpg

3012328881_88c7c81c0c_b.jpg

3013161394_7187e2a8e6.jpg
3013160754_eda9b0e824.jpg

New pics, more or less finished since this was taken, just to clean, touch up, polish and lub.

3143541739_c75284f97c_b.jpg

Couple more pics just waiting for a chainset to provide me with some bio pace rings, hoping to pick up some XT pedals too at some point.

3228692829_417508c7a7_b.jpg

3229541032_5e3f84b854_b.jpg

agentorange":1y56qpfr said:
I'd have gone the full hog with a pair of XT four-finger levers

I was tempted for the sake of keeping it all XT but no matter how many times I looked at them I couldn't bring myself to do. They just look terrible, the 2 finger ones aren't as bad but I like the ritcheys and the look with the thumbies.

Back