Heart Monitors

A HRM is only really properly useful if you're seriously training. Having said that, I use a Polar S720i as a cycle computer on my main bike as I find its other functions useful such as temperature, altitude and the like. A GPS system would do the same job for less cash though.

If you're cycling to lose weight then a HRM is useful though as (generally) your body burns fat best within a certain heart rate range and a HRM can help keep you within this 'fat burning' range. Having said that, maintaining this range is difficult when you're MTBing because of the variations in terrain. Better on a road bike.

I don't take training seriously so don't really need the Polar, but I like having lots of numbers to play with and comparing stats for different rides so if you're a bit of a numbers geek like me.. go buy one!

I use one during training, helps me to make sure i'm training in the right zone which at the moment is very low so i'm using it to make sure my heart rate doesn't go too high. Also useful for indicating if you are getting sick if you measure resting heart rate each morning, it elevates slightly just before you become ill.

scant":1bpz12j4 said:
heart rates can fluctuate a surprising amount per day & arent the entire training solution they were once considered. if you're taking training seriously a power meter is much more reliable. used together with a HRM they give the best solution.
you're only down the road from me. hook up if you wanna come on a few training rides ;)

That's very kind of you Scant....but I'm scared...your reputation proceeds you :)
We should meet up and have a ride oneday though....and on a training day would be good....to see how off 'fit' I am. What the heck is a Power Meter...OK I'll look it up :LOL:

I use one on the turbo but haven't dared take it out with me on the road. I think I'd scare myself to much on hills!

Mine was from Lloyds Chemist a couple of months ago, only £7.99, which I thought was rather a bargain.

I'm only 31 and I've been told by my doctor that I've gotta keep an eye on my blood pressure and heart rate, hence I've I've had to buy one of those automatic widgets!!

I'm supposed to be keeping track of everything every few days for a couple of months, but I scared myself so much the first time I took a reading ...... I haven't done it since! :oops:

More bike riding, more healthy food, and less beer ... maybe that'll help my heart too!! Lol!! :cool:

Maybe when I get fitter I'll start taking note of the results from my electronic widget, then I won't be so ashamed to tell my doctor!! :oops:

Best Wishes,

L xx

Lollipops":b18so1qd said:
I'm only 31 and I've been told by my doctor that I've gotta keep an eye on my blood pressure and heart rate, hence I've I've had to buy one of those automatic widgets!!

I'm supposed to be keeping track of everything every few days for a couple of months, but I scared myself so much the first time I took a reading ...... I haven't done it since! :oops:

More bike riding, more healthy food, and less beer ... maybe that'll help my heart too!! Lol!! :cool:

Maybe when I get fitter I'll start taking note of the results from my electronic widget, then I won't be so ashamed to tell my doctor!! :oops:

Best Wishes,

L xx

dude, you live near margam? masses of cool trails there.. & afans close by. dont concentrate on getting fit. just start riding more & enjoy it. fitness will be a nice side effect :D

Back