Modern Bikes and Proper Chanirings

P20

Retrobike Rider
Which modern chainsets do you guys use on non retro bikes. My XTR952 has seen better days and i'm know the bb won't be available for ever. I've been looking at the Raceface Dues XC(its for a Yeti 575 and they seem standard), but with proper rings(46,34,24)
Any other ideas?
I've always liked Shimano cranks, but XTR is 44 top and the Yeti can comrfortably spin a 46 :roll:

P20":lk3rl1dd said:
I've always liked Shimano cranks, but XTR is 44 top and the Yeti can comrfortably spin a 46 :roll:

I've been riding and racing on M960 XTR on a couple of my bikes over the last 2 and a bit years and the 44 isn't and issue at all.

Are you really spinning out on a 46? or are you pedalling squares or not using all your cassette effectively (ie the top end gears)??

Depending on what cassette you are using, 44:11 is a higher ratio than 46:12 too.

Are sure you really need a 46? ;)

Its running 46-11. At the weekend i thought my shifter had packed up, i was changing up and nothing happened, turned out i was already in top :oops: The Yeti is so stable you really can spin the gears.
There is a XT available with 48 outer, but i'm thinking bling. Will probably end up with the Race Face :twisted:

I was in the lakes around Skiddaw at the weekend. A few years ago i hit 42mph on an old M2 using 46t, the 575 is so much more relaxed :LOL:

P20":36vfnyqd said:
I was in the lakes around Skiddaw at the weekend. A few years ago i hit 42mph on an old M2 using 46t, the 575 is so much more relaxed :LOL:

But at 67.6km/h (42mph) you weren't pedalling were you.

I've done some of the maths and I'd say that unless you only ride downhill fire roads or are a World Cup racer the times you would really be limited by a 44:11 are very rare. In fact I'd challenge most people to be able to reach a cadence of 90 in a 44:11 on a flat dirt road and then maintain it for a reasonable amount of time.

If you are reaching these speeds I'd also question whether you are using your 575 to it's best ability (ie technical stuff rather than outright speed). ;)

But then again if you really want a 46 then who am I to argue? My only other feedback would be that the current Raceface cranks, chain rings and external BB bearings are fairly ordinary even if they look bling. X type is particularly crap and I'd steer clear of it if you are at all interested in reliability.

Back