BBB stem extender........it works !!!

greenstiles

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Hi I had my doubts about these............but thanks to 'Faceplant's reasurance' I got one. On the net there is a lot of confusion as to wether these are for A-head systems or not............yes they are, as well as threaded (to convert into A-head)...........you can use what ever colour stem stackers you have as normal, to complete the job. Not that heavy either.............just move the spacers on it to get the height you desire out of your existing steerer and you wouldn't know it's there.........totally hidden ! :D

One tip tighten up the wedge 1st so it will just slide in or the thingy at the bottom may not seat right .

Ah you have asked the right question ! the bolt that tightens the wedge has a threaded internal top to it .........so after you do up the wedge you put your top cap on and the pre-load bolt goes into the internal threaded bit at the top..........hey presto :D

Sounds useful but I'm not convinced until I see some pictures...
Can you put some up? That'd be great. Cheers

drystonepaul":1gfzksol said:
Sounds useful but I'm not convinced until I see some pictures...
Can you put some up? That'd be great. Cheers

I've done this too extending a steerer,it will work any system as long as the steerer tube is steel be it a-head or threaded.
Not sure if you can use it on alloy steerers as the bore is narrower but ive only used steel so i know its alright for that

Attachments

• steerer 2 Dissassembled.JPG
    steerer 2 Dissassembled.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 10,105
Thanks for all the info and pictures. I am now convinced and can see that one of these could be very useful.
Nice review on the CRC website by the way, written by a certain 'Easy Rider'.
Anyone we know...?

Hi,

can I just check something about this please? Sorry if I'm being a bit thick :oops:

My threaded streeer only just comes to the top of the head tube, not enough to even start to thread the headset on.

Am I right that this kit would then work if I bought an aheadset and ahead stem, even if my existing steerer is only just flush with the top of the headtube?

From Faceplant's photos on Flickr it looks like his steerer was even lower than this before the extension was fitted, but just wanted to check.

Also, is the 1 1/8" on CRC the external diameter (so the bit that sits inside the existing steerer tube is actually 1")?

I was going to send my forks away to Dave Yates to have the ahead conversion done, but this could save me a fair bit...

Thanks,
Damien

Back