Why did I ever use anything else?

:LOL:

hope not

i use abiword for the writing of things and gnumeric spreadsheet for spreadsheeting

edit: i agree with the idea of gnu linux in that stuff should be free . sure people should make a bit for putting the effort in in the first place but windows is restrictive . countless times i would see " you have performed an illegal operation " :? eh , you what . its mine i own it ill do what i like . just by choosing to use it helps keep the freedom of being able to change something you use and own and not to have restraints imposed upon you by a company

singlespeeding has become too much about gimicky bottle openers and comparing gearings . theres too much of a false image being sold where it should just be about the riding of a bike with one gear because its good , not because you have 20 ways to open a bottle bolted to it

legrandefromage":11584yzt said:
Call me 'Thicky McTavish' - I cant get it to do anything - just keeps ignoring the CD and opening windows.

''Download the DOS-Program ''md5sum.exe.'' To open a DOS-Box
Don't worry about md5 sum. It's just a piece of software that verifies you've downloaded the right thing, and it's not been messed with. Just burn the .iso to a CD rom.
Now, switch your PC off. Hit Del, f2 or whatever it needs to start the BIOS setup. Find something called Boot order, and make sure it says CDROM before HDD, so it looks for puppy on the CDROM before loading Windows.
Save and exit, then reboot. Your computer will start Puppy!
But don't give up! Your computer will come alive like you wouldn't believe.
PM if you get stuck.

I've use linux for many a years on and off, currently things are getting much much better than they used to be.

It tends to just work now :D

Been using Ubuntu few the past year or so and does everything I need, even run of a pendrive

I only run it on a laptop though at the moment,
Still have XP or Vista I forget which I'm using now on the desktop as I play games and other things that are simpler on windows as it's more powerful (the computer hardware that is).

I wouldn't say it was faster than XP, but about the same really (hey they can only go as fast as the hardware)
The cut down versions linux distro's (puppy etc.) can feel snappier though but still you can easily bog them down, lol.

If you surf the web, watch TV, listen to music (even streaming) or simple office things then it's perfectly fine.

I find the office programs lack still but if you do simple stuff they are fine, TV/Media is a rough affair and still not as nice as the windows counterparts.

yep that pretty much sums it up . i find the streaming more of an issue due to the restraints imposed so we cant use it for free , codecs and whatnot :( but i can live without the 4od player

i do miss being able to play the many nes/snes roms i "acquired" , i spose i could make them work but i wouldnt know where to start :LOL:

I know faff all about computers and operating systems. All I know is I have a six year old lap top that won't die. Earlier this month my dog bashed it about outside in the wet ripping the screen off the main bit. Bit of solder later and back to normal. I've had it apart numerous times to dry out after beer spills re soldering the mains plug in point etc. I do really want a new laptop but won't untill this one dies. But its still as good as ever bloody samsung.

perry":2xfvxjnz said:
yep that pretty much sums it up . i find the streaming more of an issue due to the restraints imposed so we cant use it for free , codecs and whatnot :( but i can live without the 4od player

i do miss being able to play the many nes/snes roms i "acquired" , i spose i could make them work but i wouldnt know where to start :LOL:

The codecs should be there, I think the 8.10 ubuntu makes it easy to use them, but since I did it manually in the add/remove applications I'm not sure how easy. They just cannot enable them out of the box due to distribution rights

snes/nes should be easy on linux there is an emulator for everything, I think this is one area where linux on the pc is superior (though not used any for a long time, lol) just hunt in the add/remove application for emulators.

crud":3r4gf8yx said:
I know faff all about computers and operating systems. All I know is I have a six year old lap top that won't die. Earlier this month my dog bashed it about outside in the wet ripping the screen off the main bit. Bit of solder later and back to normal. I've had it apart numerous times to dry out after beer spills re soldering the mains plug in point etc. I do really want a new laptop but won't untill this one dies. But its still as good as ever bloody samsung.

:LOL:
You'll have to be a lot more careful with a new laptop. Pretty sure they have become flimsier and flimsier as they have become so cheap.... even given away on some offers now :shock:

Well, got me freebie CD through from chris667 (most kind) and I'm currently using my puppy to type this.

Took about 4.5 mins to set up and it found what I thought was a faulty LAN connection in about 2 secs with the 'test' function.

Very nice and bloody quick performance (espesh on a modern laptop)...

Splendid!
It's great when I convert someone else.
Stick it on that old Dell you found under the stairs, it'll come to life like you wouldn't believe.... ;)

Back