29ers - tell me about them.

jango

Senior Retro Guru
I fancy trying something a little different, anyone got experience of 29ers.....good or bad?

They're pretty cool as long as you're over 6' otherwise they're just wrong ;)

Hybrid sales were flagging so a marketing director somewhere in the US bunged some fatter tyres on one and the rest is history (albeit a history that I just made up).

mtbfix":1cce4s6z said:
Hybrid sales were flagging so a marketing director somewhere in the US bunged some fatter tyres on one and the rest is history (albeit a history that I just made up).

:LOL:

Forgive my ignorance but are the rims old school roadie 27" or metric 700c (27.6")? :oops:

I have owned 3 29ers in the past 3 years and I have just now gone back to 26ers.
I do like the 29ers but for the type of riding that I do now they seem just a tad too big. I am 6-1 and used my 29er primarily for racing. It was great on long trails where there was a lot of striaghts but really suffered on any course where there was a lot of twists and turns. You just can't excellerate out of turns as fast as a 26er and the amount of energy that you use to get out of the turns is twice that of a 26er. But with that said, with the bigger wheels, once they get going they are sooooooo smooth and effortless, except when climbing.:)
I even tried a 69er and it was just too crazy and strange.
So....if you are looking for a Cadillac and not a Porsche then I say go for it.

Attachments

• IMG_3787_1_1_1_1_1_1.JPG
    IMG_3787_1_1_1_1_1_1.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 1,460
Theres an article in singletrack this month on 69'rs.

I'm a long-legged 6'3" and will buy a 29er as soon as they come down in price 2nd hand. On a 26" MTB I look like most people do on a BMX :LOL:

Back