The risk we take....

terryhfs":2879rtjc said:
For me the most important thing is to actually be out there riding - what's the use of a bike that doesn't get ridden, unless you rode round the world on it or something and you want to mount it on the wall in a display case.

The heart and soul of a bike for me is it's frame - it's the bit that sings to you when you're riding hard, the bit that ceases to be a separate thing and becomes part of you when you're dialled in and your senses are completely attuned to every sensation it's feeding back to you.

Drivetrain, brakes, yeah they're important I guess but they don't make the bike - they're just bike "clothes" ! I've always tried to build bikes with the best functional stuff I can afford - my old/new mountain bike has current XT on it's 12 year old frame because it works like a dream and is cheaper than trying to round up a host of retro stuff. My road bike has 8-speed Dura Ace as roadies don't seem to appreciate old kit as much and once it's out of date it tends to be really cheap. As Shimano still make 8-speed stuff it's easy to get replacement from current (lower) lines if need be.

I've probably committed retrobike blasphemy above. Where's the confession booth?

Terry...

He he he, well said Terry, I couldn't agree more :LOL:

messiah":1dxxw3vn said:
terryhfs":1dxxw3vn said:
For me the most important thing is to actually be out there riding - what's the use of a bike that doesn't get ridden, unless you rode round the world on it or something and you want to mount it on the wall in a display case.

The heart and soul of a bike for me is it's frame - it's the bit that sings to you when you're riding hard, the bit that ceases to be a separate thing and becomes part of you when you're dialled in and your senses are completely attuned to every sensation it's feeding back to you.

Drivetrain, brakes, yeah they're important I guess but they don't make the bike - they're just bike "clothes" ! I've always tried to build bikes with the best functional stuff I can afford - my old/new mountain bike has current XT on it's 12 year old frame because it works like a dream and is cheaper than trying to round up a host of retro stuff. My road bike has 8-speed Dura Ace as roadies don't seem to appreciate old kit as much and once it's out of date it tends to be really cheap. As Shimano still make 8-speed stuff it's easy to get replacement from current (lower) lines if need be.

I've probably committed retrobike blasphemy above. Where's the confession booth?

Terry...

He he he, well said Terry, I couldn't agree more :LOL:

I'm with you on that too - I call it 'Pimp My Ride'!! :LOL:

Maybe I'm just an old romatic but I'd rather throw my dream bike off a cliff than lose my wife.

along similar lines we always used to have the motto 'if you're gonna crash ditch the bike in the bush and send your body into the gravel rather than the other way round' - this was because being skint we figured your body heals itself for free (or on the NHS!) but bikes are expensive to replace parts!!

along similar lines we always used to have the motto 'if you're gonna crash ditch the bike in the bush and send your body into the gravel rather than the other way round' - this was because being skint we figured your body heals itself for free (or on the NHS!) but bikes are expensive to replace parts!!

Ahhh.. i remember that philosophy, I remember coming home, bike intact, but both knees, elbows, shoulders hips, with road rash, and the girl friend crying because of the state of me. notice it was always later that it hurt more, wearing clothes over grazes, belts rubbing scabs on hips.

Mark_h4dng":31hnptph said:

Ahhh.. i remember that philosophy, I remember coming home, bike intact, but both knees, elbows, shoulders hips, with road rash, and the girl friend crying because of the state of me. notice it was always later that it hurt more, wearing clothes over grazes, belts rubbing scabs on hips.

This was a great philosophy before I got a mortgage :LOL:

Russell said:
novekili said:
I'm romantic too you know.... ;)

Prove it darling :LOL:

:oops:

I will: listen to this:

For too long my weary eyes haven't found relief mirroring themselves in the deep turquoise of your top tube, my beloved

Hope my significant other doesn't read this! :mrgreen:

PS: if you really have to puke, don't do it near the screen!

Have you read how many posts stating my Ritchey P20 should have snapped after 2 rides? Its a miracle its still going after 7yrs. I've almost been convinced its going to happen. If it does i'll be truly gutted, but i'll have had plenty of fun along the way.

if your taking a bike out to ride, then it has to be ridden properly. No 'oo can't do that might scratch my tyres'

I ride all my bikes, though to be fair, I don't have much NOS stuff.
1) Cos that might put me off riding
2) Cos its f*^£ off expensive ;)

If stuff breaks, hey it breaks. Under normal use most things are ok.

gump said:
if your taking a bike out to ride, then it has to be ridden properly. No 'oo can't do that might scratch my tyres'
quote]

Absolutely, which is why I'll be taking the M900 stuff off the Zaskar and fitting XT. With people flogging rear mechs at £50, I'd rather keep it in a box and sell it when prices go properly silly.

Latest posts

Back