Mongoose in Chester needs a home (now rescued!)

:shock: With that kind of damage to the forks who's to say what damage has been done to the frame, that you may not necessarily be able to see.

Low end steel from 1996? It'd make a nice singlespeed project.
Should have Acera/Alivio kit, the Tourney is aftermarket.

awaycaboose":220q0732 said:
:shock: With that kind of damage to the forks who's to say what damage has been done to the frame, that you may not necessarily be able to see.

:LOL: i thought that too. When i first spotted it i thought it was an aluminium frame, but it's actually steel. I've just stripped it down and it's in pretty good shape! Just a bit of surface rust on the chips. Seatpost straight out, plenty of grease everywhere.

Anybody have any idea of year, I was thinkinh 1996. Are these frames any good? Worth a build?

Forks still work a treat too, just a shame they aren't attached :roll:

EDIT: looks like my questions were answered as i was typing :LOL:

legrandefromage":11spa8z3 said:
If you need any freebies, let me know - see if we can build a 'found it dumped' bike...

Might have an idea there. Its missing wheels, forks have seen better days, l/h shifter has exploded and seat has been rubbed to the bone, other than that it's spanking!

worse comes ot the worse, shod it with all the low end bits you have around and flog it on to someone who needs a commuter

Gotta be worth transforming into a SS hack bike eh? Just remember if you're gonna start removing braze ons and the like, that a hacksaw and file is all you need to get the job done...they angle grinders can be right cantankerous beasties so I've heard. ;)

Already got a SS project on the go. Now if i could only find my BB tool so i can weigh the frame :?
The downtube is one of those funny triangular steel thingies, looks a bit weird.
How about buiding it up from other "dumped" bits as the big cheese suggested but giving it away as a booby prize :LOL:
Would have to think of a competition fist :?:

Yeah the idea of a fully tip built bike sounds pretty cool. Could be a prize amongst the various RetroBike teams at the SSUK 09. Would have to be for something other than winning of course. :LOL:

Back