joining the job seekers club

Dr S":34n72o9n said:
Get some cards knocked up Dan with your number on and start slipping them to the punters- tell them the gaffer is a prick and it's all about to go tits up. Youre a good hand with the bikes and you'll be suprised how much work you will pick up. Get round the local bike clubs and onto forums and hawk for wheelbuiding etc.
And stuff him- sounds a right arse!
Si

I'd be careful doing that, check what is in your contract first, you may leave yourself open to legal action if your found out, especially the part about the business going tits up.

prepare a business plan, iron your suit. wait for your boss to run things into the ground. go see the bank and buy the business off him :D

lumos2000":1o3eocci said:
prepare a business plan, iron your suit. wait for your boss to run things into the ground. go see the bank and buy the business off him :D

:cool: That's a plan

3080760153_08d336e8c5_o.jpg

lumos2000":dp8su0kw said:

How long have you been there? you should be able to get redundancy which might make taking the business over a possiblity.

Don't buy it from your boss, if possible buy it from the administrators, it will be much cheaper and you will get a better deal on existing stock.

Also perhaps do a "stock check" to help your business plan and to make sure the boss doesn't walk off with the good assets.

i did the stcok take last month and i keep a close eye on everything as the boss is pocketing cash (he deny's it). The property its in is too expencive to keep running,and iv'e been there two and a half years and as i know theres no cash in the buisness for redundancy il be taking fingers crossed a trek fuel ex 8 and a giant defy advance carbon/tools i havn't already got ;) but im looking into other shops in norwich, halfords pet project "cycle republic" might take me on as my mate rob is the manager so fingers crossed or im looking into working offshore as a geotech engineer fixing all the gear as it breaks plus maintinence of all the gear.

Set up on yer own!

I was in a very similar situation last year (not the asshole boss part though), our shop closed due to high overheads & falling sales.

We always got great feedback from our customers, there were only 2 of us working there, the other lad's better looking half wouldn't let him go self employed.

I decided to give it a go (I am working full time as well at the mo in a temporary job), I'm going mobile bike repair style ;)

All I have are my tools & a load of business cards (given out to old bosses, who are good blokes) & I'm picking up work through them as well as word of mouth and another local shop who has started selling bikes (even though he knows hardly owt about bikes) has a load of my cards

There's a website in the making, and I've created a facebook group & Flickr photo page.

TheCycleDoctor.co.uk's Facebook page & TheCycleDoctor.co.uk's Flickr page

It's all on a wing & a prayer, but I'd rather try than not bother & end up working for someone else doing a job that feels like work, fixing bikes hardly ever feels like work :D

cannondale king":1vxccnje said:
iv'e been there two and a half years and as i know theres no cash in the buisness for redundancy

If it does go tits up due to your bosses idiotic behaviour, get form RP1 off the administrators. They have to give it you anyhow. As you've been there over 2 years you can claim redundancy off the goverment. I know as I'm claiming now. It takes up to 10 weeks apparently, so I've only another 7 to wait :evil:

Going on your own as the others have said would be good, especially if you have a customer base to start.

Good luck fella :D

Sorry to hear that Dan , i know your shop and more importanly your boss , i too am involved in business here and speak to lots of diffrent customers everyday and i have to say there is many many people who are put off coming in your store because of the owner and his personality !

Hope it all works out well for you .

Back