joining the job seekers club

cannondale king

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
looks like i might be out of a job very soon my boss has dropped are days down to 4 a week and wants us to use are holiday up as he has no work for us the thing is we are the better bike shop in town for service work (the boss is a tool still and cant be trusted) but me and the other lad seem to be coming to and end of are dream job times :cry: :cry: :cry:

i know the thing is its my bosses fault he doesn't care for the buisness only profit, and keeps talking down and rudly to customers and me and the other lad have to sort everything out and keep customers happy, while he runs it into the ground making me and the other lad look very unprofessional he tells customers what they want to here(anyhing for a sale) or just boo's them off as they brought a bike mail order and want us to set it up for them (we do charge and they are normally happy with costs) he say's they deserve to be told to go as they are not his bikes (i normally have to salvage the situation) to be honest il be glad to go but its a shame as the work shop we run is really good and me and the other lad work really hard to keep standards up to the very highest level :cool:

Sounds like you and your mate need to get together and go head to head with the git taking your Customers with you?? ( I know easy to say )

Get some cards knocked up Dan with your number on and start slipping them to the punters- tell them the gaffer is a prick and it's all about to go tits up. Youre a good hand with the bikes and you'll be suprised how much work you will pick up. Get round the local bike clubs and onto forums and hawk for wheelbuiding etc.
And stuff him- sounds a right arse!
Si

sounds like the bloke that owned the shop i used to manage

kept ordering low end bikes that nobody wanted and wouldnt let me diversify the list of distributors

my little place was the smaller low end of the 2 shops in town . its very saddening when 9 out of 10 people tell you they come to you because its you and they dont want to go to the other shop

shame the constant supply of bikes to fix couldnt keep it afloat . i was there a year but the lack of sales ( small premises so lack of range ) meant it had been trading to a loss for at least 3 years and the letting company was putting the rates up so it came to an end

just a shame i didnt grab more stuff before i cleared it out :LOL:

it was the only job i enjoyed . i even pedaled 15 miles there and then 15 back each day and i would only ever see the owner once every 2 weeks

if you have a good customer base you could start offering mobile servicing . does your shop close sunday ? might be worth turning that extra day into offering a more bespoke service from the back of a van , or picking up from there house and dropping it back off . i know where i am a lot of people find it hard to get a bike to a shop and then pick it up during the week

Your boss is probably under a lot of pressure due to the lack of business. Nevertheless taking his stresses out on the customers and you is not acceptable and also daft.

I think Dr S' advice is good- go for it!

sorry to hear that, a few years back i worked in a shop where the boss/owner was a cock, most of the good/big money customers followed me to the next 2 shops i worked in because they weren't that far appart.

as has been said try and pick up some home jobs and when your boss pisses off a customer that you think is ok, let them know you don't agree with him but quietly offer your services. lets face it, you could get bits off chain reaction and charge for labour, if you did say 4 services a day at say 30-40quid + the crc bill you might find you do better on your forced days off. i did this myself a few years ago.

it also might be worth keeping this guy away from customers if possible or tell him his resentful attitude may be causing issues, in this financial climate he should be chasing every pound and kissing asses to get it aswel, it's not ideal to asskiss but good service and good attitude is what will save good bike shops at the moment.

good luck with your issues, it's always worrying when this sort of shit happens.

Back