95 Orange C16R

Perfick

Lovely job there? Cant beat a Black steel framed Orange. I always feel though the polished old skool chainset with 48t outers always dominate the build. I alway prefer original MD cranksets.

Where did the C-16r fit in the range? I have the orange alu forks from one of these ( they look like they'll fit this one).

C16R was the Clockwork with a different name, so 'entry level' steel frame sold along side the P7 although the 'entry level' bit is debatable.

Your alloy forks are likely off an Elite or 'O' series bike though cos the C16R had steel or Rockshox (in C16RS guise). ;)

cherrybomb":3gz8z30g said:
C16R was the Clockwork with a different name, so 'entry level' steel frame sold along side the P7 although the 'entry level' bit is debatable.

Your alloy forks are likely off an Elite or 'O' series bike though cos the C16R had steel or Rockshox (in C16RS guise). ;)

You sure? Mine are one inch, cut specifically for the C16 frame I had - FIR rims, STX headset, STX / Alivio mechs. I transplanted the front end to the Fuji below donating the 1" Ahead Manitous to the Orange:

Attachments

• ABCD0002.JPG
    ABCD0002.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 3,288
  • orange c16.jpg
    orange c16.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 3,284
legrandefromage":1s4kq4wo said:
cherrybomb":1s4kq4wo said:

You sure? Mine are one inch, cut specifically for the C16 frame I had - FIR rims, STX headset, STX / Alivio mechs. I transplanted the front end to the Fuji below donating the 1" Ahead Manitous to the Orange:

Yup. reasonably sure. The C16R came with F7 forks as standard from early on. There was never an option for alloy forks, but there could be a couple of explanations for yours. The E3 had the same geometry as the C16R and also sported a 1" threaded fork, so the forks from an E3 would fit straight onto a C16R.
The other option is that the alloy forks were probably available on their own, so it's possible they could have been spec'ed as an upgrade from new, although, as I said, this wasn't a published option as far as I know.

I would have agreed until I spotted this on ebay today..

Erm.. for some reason I can't post the link, but there is a C16r on ebay at the moment with alu forks..

Nice bike by the way Chris. I've got a soft spot for the matt black with those decals! :D

They must have had a shortage in the supply of F7's so chucked together some aluminium forks on the C16's for a while. I bet those forks are quite rare now!

OrangeRetro":28ukfysl said:
They must have had a shortage in the supply of F7's so chucked together some aluminium forks on the C16's for a while. I bet those forks are quite rare now!

Well I'll be bu99ered! :D
I reckon you could be right on the F7 supply theory. It would be interesting to see if they are the first of the C16R frames from early 1995.
They certainly don't appear in the catalogues with an alloy fork, always the F7.

I still reckon the alloy forks were the ones from the E3 though. I wonder how many spare sets Orange had lying around that had been upgraded to RC35s from the factory? I bet a fare number of E3s were being sold with suspension by then.

Back