Which Small Van?

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
I am thinking of getting a small van for my embryo business. Tax wise it makes much more sense than an estate car. Hopefully I will be doing quite a few miles so distance between services will be important. As will economy. I was thinking about a 1.3/1.4/1.5 litre diesel. A removable row of rear seats would be nice so long as it doesn't affect tax status.

What do you guys use? There are some with their own businesses I know.

Thanks.

Van

Ive got 2 Astra vans for my firm. Great on mpg's, really nippy and there are a load about with fold down rear seats. Look out for sticky exhaust recirculating valves, altinator( which drives power steering) ball joints/lower suspension knocking and leaky injector seals. If there is water in the oil/ oil in water it is the injector seals and not a head gasket, although the head has to come off to change them so can get pricey. Both of mine have been brilliant motors and they're on 140/150k now

had an astra 1.7cdti... great van to drive, but I found it was a pain for me because it is low, and you can't get to stuff at the front... I'm a sparky, so it was always loaded with kit!

had a kangoo, it was a 1900 but the 1500 turbo is better, that was good.. but the immobiliser and alarm went wrong

had a peugeot expert... but that was too big (it just filled up with junk)

now got a seat inca (cheap vw caddy) it's the old hi cube, so I can get in and get stuff from the front, it's cheap to buy and run but it's a sdi so is dog slow... I had a tdi for a few months last year (crashed mine, so bought a cheap £500 runaround to use for a couple of months) and that was better to drive, and fuel ecconomy was not really any different! about 40and a bit mpg and the cheap one had 250k miles on and still drove nicely!

if you don't need to get in and out to the very front all the time... I'd agree with the astra, lovely to drive and quiet and got about 50mpg... you should also consider a dualfuel one (lpg)... but just be aware of the loading and unloading hassles!!

Cant go wrong with the slightly larger normally asperated Citroen Dispatch

Car size tyres (14's), 1.9 diesel giving almost 56mpg at a steady 55mph. Just a cambelt to worry about once in a while.

Left field: 2001 - 2002 Ford Mondeo TDDI (not TCDI) I got my hatchback to 384,750 miles with very few problems.

I get an average of 60-70mpg out of my 1.5dci clio van. 660miles on the last 50litre tank. :D It's ace. I don't think it's ever been lower than about 55mpg even gunning down through France. And it's got the world's best parcel shelf. ;)

im with john the sparky and slinky..... Astra van 1.7dti .... good on the diesel... quite fast.... look cool with roof rails and thule bars !! (thule do some really good bike carriers).
Yea the only problem is they are quite low and reaching in to the back can be a little bit annoying ! mine is fitted with a black mesh bulkhead aand a black mesh rear window security cover, Its also got deadlocks so anything in the back is kept nice and safe :D

i've had...................

4 1.7 cdti astras - just the best van ever!!!!!
3 coras 1.7cdti/tdi - small n nippy-ace
1 1.6 hdi peugot partner (quick utter shite!)
1 1.9 non turbo peugeot partner(slow utter shite too!!!)
1 tddi transit connect-good
1 transin 136 tdci ok heavy on fuel but quick

the astras win hands down every time, espesialy if there boarded in the back (with a handle to help you lean n reach the very back! :LOL:)

will do 60mpg if driven v nicely, quick when u need it, and one of them reached 280k with servicing every 20k!!!!! :shock:

Back