question for the photographers?

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Thought I had a great idea, take some photos of a bike free standing in the snow .... Look what happened :cry:

Im guessing the reflection off the snow throws the light ?

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

its made some of the parts invisible :LOL:

quick desaturate of the light

desaturate.jpg

it could be layered and the color of the bike ( or parts of ) shown over the top of the desaturated snow . but i dont know how :oops:

Snow reflects too much light, and fools your camera's meter.
You can get a special grey card to take light readings with, but that's not much help now. :(
Sorry your photos didn't come out.

Is there asnow option on the camera somewhere, mines does and its no great shakes.

ps the zaskars looking sweet, built up it looks some much better :cool:

Have you got Adobe Photoshop or Elements?
There's a neat tool called Shadow/Highlight which would help lift the brightness of the frame. The detail currentty 'hidden' in the dark areas does depend greatly on the quality of the camera sensor though.
Try having flash override on or your other option is a bit more involved & requires taking 2 photos of the subject - 1 exposure correct for the bright snow & 1 longer exposure for the shadows then merge the 2.

Hope this helps

Meter off the snow and add 2 stops for a starting point. Check the histogram and take the exposure as far to the right as possible without "blowing" the snow.

Something more like this then .....?

Attachments

• desaturate.jpg
    desaturate.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,201
Meter off the snow and add 2 stops for a starting point. Check the histogram and take the exposure as far to the right as possible without "blowing" the snow.

:shock: Errm Maybe I will wait for it to melt :LOL:

Its my dad`s Nikon D60 I really dont know much about cameras :oops:

Back