Helpplease: XTR question...

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Anyone know what the differences between M950 and M952 chainsets were if any? (4 bolt spider)

I'm looking at a pic of an M952 one and it appears to have oval cut outs on the outer ring, does that mean the earlier one had the more solid looking 'dinner plate' top ring without the cut outs? (think those were prettier).

Anyone know?

Thanks for your help, and for looking in.

Gus

Thanks Sylvain,

that's exactly what i needed to know - thinking about getting one for the Merlin (always thought they looked great on ti frames).

But agree with you that the 950 looks better - nicer outer chainring.

Gus

The rear of the rings a different. The bolt connection on the rear are round on the M950 and square on the M952. And the pedal end is a bit (hardly visible) wider on the M952.
But the main difference on all M952 parts is that they are 9 speed. All other M950 and M951 are 8.
Hope the site is of any help.

Maybe someone else knows, but I don't know and see the difference in the M950 and M951 cranksets.

You're welcome.
I'm glad all the hours of searching and working on the site, help to give the information I wanted to share.

Well worth all the effort - definately. Gone and got myself an M952 chainset and gone back to bigger rings. Backwards progression?

Anyway, thanks mate.

Gus

Back