PC Virus Woes?

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
I have AntiVir (the free version) and run it regularly. Earlier I clicked on a website link (nowt dodgy just a survey equipment site) and my PC went MAD. Alarms going off like you won't believe! Trojans, worms up to ten of the bleeders on the C and D drive apparently. None of the scans were asked for and were very reluctant to switch off.

I have agin run AntiVir and it found nothing. I have downloaded the Microsoft Malware scanner and it has come up with a blank!

Was it a scam trying to get dosh out of me? Anything else I could try?

Note my PC is steam powered and runs an early version of 2000!!

thekingofming":agf7p4jm said:
try AVG (avg.com) or Avast for Anti Virus duties. Also, try downloading AdAware, that might find other bits and bobs.

I used to use AVG on a previous PC but this one's OS is too old. Thanks guys will try the other ideas though.

P20":1u8a293s said:
Try spybot, it used to be free and should be able to find anything ;)

Well, that was odd. I ran Adaware 6 and all it found were some data miners. Then I installed and ran Spybot and it found a couple more of the little blighters.

Nothing more sinister than that though. So still none the wiser.

What virus scanner do you use (edit oh AntiVir), and was it actually the virus scanner complaining or just the scam website windows opening up.

Try this one
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/WelcomePage.asp use the continue to option...

edit
but just reading what you have written, it sound like the scam website pop ups, never believe them ;) they are just scare adverts.

Would be an idea to upgrade from Windows 2000 - Microsoft and all the antivirus providers are going to stop supporting it soon!
If you just want to go on the web and stuff, why not try Puppy Linux?
Your computer will work so well, you'll hardly recognise it.

chris667":8oy6280s said:
Would be an idea to upgrade from Windows 2000 - Microsoft and all the antivirus providers are going to stop supporting it soon!
If you just want to go on the web and stuff, why not try Puppy Linux?
Your computer will work so well, you'll hardly recognise it.

New PC arriving soon. I was looking at the other thread with interest and might give it a try. This one has the entire Office suit installed which presumably I would loose? That would be a downer to say the least.

Back