1990 Trek 8000

Simod

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well here's my Trek 8000 - not exotic but definitely retro I reckon.

It was purchased new by my father. His idea being that he could come out on rides with me. That never really happened and it just sat in the garage for a few years. I was heavily into racing at this point and was rapidly outgrowing my Alpinestars Al-mega XT so I switched to racing the Trek. It has been raced all over the south of England and has even been around the World Cup course at Newnham a few times.

It has been upgraded over the years as bits became worn out - the only original piece left is the frame!

Current Spec is:
Rockshox Mag 20 Forks
A-tac Stem
X-Lite Ti Bars
Control Tech Bar ends
Royce Ti BB
Cooks Cranks with Ritchey Rings
XT SPD's
USE Ti Seatpost
Flite Evo Saddle
DX Canti's
XT Rapid-fires
XT Mechs
XT Hubs on Campag Contax Rims
Onza Rip and Rail Tyres.

It gets an outing probably every other week and i still enjoy riding it!

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 5,674
  • Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 5,675
paint on these period treks was rock hard too.
I remember doing trials (hey, one bike for all back then!) and he dropped the front wheel off a wall and the forks took all the weight scratched right down the fork. We looked, fearing the worst, and it was unmarked :shock:

My Orange ali O on the other hand, I looked at the stays too long and the damn paint fell off!!

I think the red was deffo a better paint choice than the 1991 8000 artic white...some reason I never liked it...I had the 1991 Trek 8500 in black with cracked red and blue paint splatter up until recently...poor thing died due to chain suck :(

Like what you've done with yours...looks cool!

Rich":3us8366t said:
I had the 1991 Trek 8500 in black with cracked red and blue paint splatter

I too had one those 8500's - mine lasted about two years before I damaged the mech hanger so badly is was near enough terminal. I got a dropout saver in it but there was so little metal left I'm surprised it held - luckily??? the bike got nicked and I replaced it with the first of my unlucky Rocky Mountain Blizzards.

I never really liked the ride of the Trek - very harsh at the back end (probably due to the almost solid tubing trek used where they bonded and riveted on the brake bosses etc). I didn't help the ride by having a flestem on it - what was I thinking of :evil:

I've seen a good few of these and the carbon tubed version die due to chainsuck - it was a Trek trait back in the day... I've also seen a few undond - normaly at the seat-tube to bottom bracket join.

Nice looking bike though - I'm impressed that there are still some of these about (and this one is so obviosly loved) :twisted:

TREK 8000

My first bike was a Trek singletrack 930 ,1992 vintage,The one with a full cro-mo frame (not many around the £500 mark!) ,fully rigid with purple transfers and lug work! Loved that bike.Sold it to fund a Raleigh special products 853 in 98.The guy that bought it sold it to his brother in London for commuting.Saw it in the shop for repairs with slicks on and all my original kit on but knackered! What a shame! The guy that bought it also bought my 853 and when i saw him last,told me the Trek had been in a collision with a taxi! The bike had seperated into two pieces and finally laid to rest! R.I.P.

Back