crank question.

sjofels

Dirt Disciple
Hi, I just bought a crank, of of Ebay, it's supposed to be a tune, the person had it listed as a mtb/crosscountry/ road crank..

however this crank does not fit my mtb's (tested it on all of them), it's too narrow, i'm figuring now its a road crank, and I'm beginning to wonder if its indeed a tune, can anybody verify this?

It used to be purple, it takes 110mm blades, an has an option for tripple, it's got indentations on the sides of it, and the back-end of the pedal thread is closed. attached is the picture of te seller, it came wit a 54tooth blade, which should have rung an alarm bell..

Attachments

• 87d5_1.jpg
    87d5_1.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 2,667
it does not look like tune, need closer pic's, it looks like TOPLINE, if you check my thread a few threads down from this one ull see a set i refurbed, check for any cracks. if its mtb the bcd will be 110, think road will be 130?

the bcd, is 110, it sure does match the topline style very well, only difference is the spider, the new spider arms have got rounded ends, this one has got square ends with a small radius. They are quite light 378 grams without bolts or chainrings, have to get a new bottom bracket now
:(

No cracks in them btw

what would be the BB spindle need to be for a 73 mm bb?

I would say Topline too. They did a number of different spider configurations for MTB and road.

Topline, just need a longer BB axle I think. Something in the region of 125mm +/- 2,5, depending on frame clearance etc.

topline or first gen. grafton. these are definitely not road cranks as the road ones had 130bcd. these are definitely not tune ones as they look quite different.

Inigo Montoya":29t5ivfx said:
topline or first gen. grafton. these are definitely not road cranks as the road ones had 130bcd. these are definitely not tune ones as they look quite different.

do you have a close up pic of the early graftons? what differs from the topline?.. I suspect I have just acquired a early set of graftons..

scant":2pm9sq1d said:
do you have a close up pic of the early graftons? what differs from the topline?.. I suspect I have just acquired a early set of graftons..
no, sorry. i just know that they are very similar/the same as topline was sub-contractor for grafton. thats just knowledge taken from the bikepro website:
Precision Tooling is a family owned machine business that has machined parts from metal for different companies over time. For a period they were the sub-contracting firm making CQP cranks. The relationship with CQP faded and John Trenerry and his father Phil worked out an exciting and stylish design for a crank arm set. Phil's knowledge of metals helped make the arms strong though they appeared delicate. There was initial un-certainty about whether the family should be bold enough to enter the bicycle parts market on their own, under their own name. As it turns out Phil Trenerry had known John Grafton for many years and Grafton's first cantilever brake had been successful. Grafton had been prevailed by others make an entrance in the crank market and the Trenerry's crank held promise though they again were reluctant. The Trenerrys agreed to make the crank they had designed and let Grafton market them. The crankset's popularity and the Grafton name identification lead to immediate market interest. After about a years time we started to be sold the cranks directly from Topline, (which is also known as Precision Tooling), because their verbal contract with Grafton had crumbled. The design remained rightly in the Trenerry hands and they have become very successful using their own name in marketing their own cranks. We've found that generally when splits like this occur, there is usually a problem related to sub- contractors being paid for their work. Have you noticed how similar the Sims cranks are to the last version of Grafton cranks? It's not a well kept secret that Sims was the sub-contractor used to make Grafton cranks after Precision Tooling (Topline)/Grafton relationship ended.
http://www.bikepro.com/products/cranks/topline.shtml

yeh, i'm well versed in bikepro as i've got the paper catalogue ;) plus i'm the 1 who asked for the bikepro sticky in the FAQ section ;)
just wondering what the slight differences were. the arms look the same, so I guess must be purely the spider?

Back