Why did I ever use anything else?

Kestonian":2xvy7mar said:
I keep meaning to put Puppy on a stick and try it out.

Theres something that sounds awfully wrong about that, sounds like a thought you may have at a BBQ in Vietnam.

Ah, Puppy.
Goddamned genius operating system. No need to look through the repositories (although it does have them, obviously), it comes with it's own firewall, and everything the vast majority of ordinary users will need in the basic, 90-odd MB download.
Click Setup>Firewall and select "Automagic" installation, it runs a little script, and that's it, you're firewalled.
4.1.2, the latest version appears to come with antivirus (haven't used it, just set it up on Hoegaardenadds1's new computer), but the vast majority of malicious software out there is designed to attack Windows, so in day to day use, it's pretty safe. And if a virus ever did get a toe-hold to your system, just reboot, delete your storage file, and you're back to original settings.
I'm starting a degree with the OU on Monday, and the software requires Windows XP. A shame, because otherwise I would have felt no need to give my 11 year old laptop to Hoegaardenadds1 in exchange for a hack frame. I used a CF card instead of a hard disk and did all of my office documents with Google Docs. It required no thinking about after I'd set it up, and because the whole OS was in RAM it was blindingly fast. Even though according to the mainstream computer industry it now ought to be landfill.
There's no denying Windows has a lot of advantages, but IMO if you just want a machine to run a business, do a bit of web surfing Puppy is a great way to do that with a machine that most people would consider throwing away.And even though my XP laptop is only a week old, it's starting to take a bit longer to start up... :twisted:
In fact, I'm so fond of Puppy, I'm going to burn a copy and send it to the first 50 people who ask just for a bit of karma, and to keep some older technology out of landfill. No need to even pay for postage, just PM your address to me and I will send a copy by return of post.

thats one hell of an offer chris :cool:

sounds too light weight for me , i spend a lot of time streaming music and tv ( dont have a telly ) i have hundreds of pics on here too but i am thinking of putting them on discs

at some point ill learn to use gimp , qcd and blender

whats the course ? couldnt you have used wine ?

Linux's greatest achievement remains pictures on the interweb of hot girls with cartoon penguins located about themselves.

perry":rnldqicz said:
sounds too light weight for me , i spend a lot of time streaming music and tv ( dont have a telly ) i have hundreds of pics on here too but i am thinking of putting them on discs
It could do all that, no trouble. The default package comes with a Torrent client, and it can handle big disks and running on powerful hardware. It's just that it doesn't need any of that stuff to work well.
perry":rnldqicz said:
whats the course ? couldnt you have used wine ?
It's only a beginner's computer course. I could probably have used Wine, but my old laptop wouldn't have been powerful enough to run the software, and I was eligible for a grant to buy a new one, so (whore of commerce that I am) I decided to take the plunge and buy new.
There's a bit of a learning curve in working out how to use Windows, but it's good to know that my course stuff will just work out of the box. I probably will return to Linux in the future, though.
Seriously, give it a go. You'd be suprised how pointless it can make more sophisticated distros look.

my puppy running computer just died. it was rescued from a school skip so its probably 15 years old. ran faster with puppy than my laptop with xp. i have an old laptop running ubuntu but i have not had chance to try and get to grips with it yet

ive gotten too used to compiz fusion now . im pretty happy with xubuntu , in april jaunty jackalope becomes available :D

Call me 'Thicky McTavish' - I cant get it to do anything - just keeps ignoring the CD and opening windows.

''Download the DOS-Program ''md5sum.exe.'' To open a DOS-Box click on "Start | Run". This opens an input window, into which you enter the following command:
cmd''

Dead link so have the .iso file and nothing else....

http://www.puppylinux.org/manuals/puppy ... -get-puppy

got a little bit further - going on a road to nowhere in the DOS command box...

Thats it! I've given up - too much 'faffing'

I just like a CD that you can load up and go from there.... :roll:

perry":22cx1kqg said:
what are your plans for it ? going to keep it light or just find what you need to use ?

I only downloaded it to make my broken craptop work - which it does. I've looked into xubuntu having read your post and I'm going to try running that, I only really need access to t'interweb and a microsoft office equivalent like open office. Anything else I'll download as and when.

I just hope it doesn't become like your SS post...

...ya Linux this, oh ya linux that and oh ya linux the other, oh ra ra ra, microsoft shower of poop...

;)

Back